Getting the Exact time

How would I get the exact time like the roblox output bar?

Hour:Minute:Second.Milisecond

5 Likes

Depends, do you want to get the time in a specific time-zone? Time since the server started? Time since you started printing?

2 Likes

You can use os.date("%X") to get hour:minute:second. If you want the milliseconds you are going to need to do something else though as the os library for roblox only returns integers Except for os.clock(), but that probably won’t help you.. Here is a link to the os library.

2 Likes
local Date = DateTime.now():ToLocalTime() -- Local Time

local timestamp = `{Date.Hour}:{Date.Minute}:{Date.Second}:{Date.Millisecond}`
-- Timestamp

That Simple, it does not require os.date like what @dragonvale5555 said.

6 Likes

This can work if you want your current clock time, but if you want ms to hr:min:sec.milli, you can just throw the millisecond value into this function I had made a while ago.

function MillisecondsToHourMinSec(TimeInput) -- ex of output: 00:19:12.242

if typeof(TimeInput) ~= 'number' then
		warn("You didn't input a number!")
		return nil
	end

local Hours = 0
	local Minutes = 0
	local Seconds = 0

Hours = math.floor(TimeInput/3600000)
	Minutes = math.floor(TimeInput/60000) - (Hours*60)
	Seconds = TimeInput/1000 - (Minutes*60) - (Hours*3600)

if Hours <= 9 then
		Hours = "0"..Hours
	end

if Minutes <= 9 then
		Minutes = "0"..Minutes
	end

if Seconds < 10 then
		Seconds = "0"..Seconds
	end

return Hours..":"..Minutes..":"..Seconds

end

Not gonna lie, I forgot I made this and this post reminded me that I had this laying around.
Edit: Fixed a small bug

3 Likes

Testing it gave me innaccurate results.

print(MillisecondsToHourMinSec(os.time())) --> 466:10:50.85700000007637

along with other things.

Edit: I think I missread.

1 Like

os.time() gives you unix time in SECONDS not milliseconds. Also you can just use math.round() on the ms value if you really want to

1 Like

you can just use tick() for that, which doesnt work either.

1 Like

You’d have to do tick() *1000 to get it in milliseconds, although it would still just round to the closest second from that anyway, you’d have to feed it an exact millisecond value if you want anything accurate.

Edit: Didn’t know that tick gave a more specific value than seconds, but you still need to do tick() * 1000 to get it in ms

1 Like

Nope.

print(MillisecondsToHourMinSec(math.floor(tick() * 1e3)/1e3))
print(MillisecondsToHourMinSec(tick() * 1e3))

Still gives me inaccurate values

1 Like

print(MillisecondsToHourMinSec(math.floor(tick() * 1e3)/1e3)

All this does is just give you the same thing as if you just input tick()

print(MillisecondsToHourMinSec(tick() * 1e3))

This one should be accurate though

1 Like

os.clock() give the most precise time-related results because it comes directly from you device’s processor. You could use formatting combined with subtracted os.clock()

2 Likes

As @AborayStudios mentioned, use os.clock() for the most accurate results, since it returns processor time. Unlike os.time(), os.date(), tick() or DateTime.now() (this is a thing), clock returns precise time in miliseconds.

You will have to combine both to achieve that milisecond effect, here’s some sample code:

os.date("%H:%M:%S." .. string.sub(string.match(tostring(os.clock()), "%.(%d+)"), 1, 3)

This is a string format, wrap this in a print statement.

Results however don’t seem to be exact. os.clock() don’t seem to match Studio’s miliseconds, but this works anyway.
imagen

3 Likes

os.clock() is inconsistent when it comes to studio vs in-game. I get the results I want in studio but not in game. Have any of you found a solution to this problem yet?

1 Like

Running os.clock() on Studio returns time since Studio started, and running it ingame returns seconds since the client started. Simple.

1 Like

my goal is to see the amount of time that it takes for the remote to call to the client. I send the os.clock() in the remote and fire the client then in the client I take the current os.clock() and subtract it with what was sent. It works in studio giving me the time but in the client it gives me over 5 digits of numbers I don’t understand.

2 Likes

While testing in Studio, the server and client are hosted in your own system, hence why no difference.

In-game however, I don’t think I’ll need to explain myself.

1 Like

Okay so what’s the problem here then? What can I do to fix this. Here is the code:

-- Server
game.Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(player)
	player.CharacterAdded:Connect(function(character)
		while wait(5) do
			game.ReplicatedStorage.Remote:FireClient(player, os.clock())
		end
	end)
end)
-- Client
game.ReplicatedStorage.Remote.OnClientEvent:Connect(function(sendTime)
	local deltaTime = os.clock() - sendTime
	print(deltaTime)
end)
1 Like

You can’t really “fix” it since it’s not a problem. Unfortunately I’m not into networking so I can’t really provide an answer to that.

1 Like

So, you want to get the server’s time from the server’s timezone? Why are you sending it to the client through a remote event? Just use a number value and rely on replication.

1 Like