GFX Editing 101: How to Properly Add Color Corrections

** :green_book:Introduction:**
Hello! Welcome to GFX Editing 101, I’m jxyvzz, a GFX Designer and Artist on the ROBLOX Platform! This is a rather short but very useful tutorial. Today, I’m going to be teaching you how to properly add color corrections to your GFX.

:question: What are Color Corrections?
Color Corrections basically is a way to fix color on any piece of art on a GFX icon or thumbnail. It gives the GFX more light, color, and properly fixes the saturation and brightness on it also.

Now that you know what it is, let’s begin!!

App Used: "Photoshop 2020"

Step 1: Finding the Brush:
So for this tutorial, I’m going to be using a piece of work of mine. To find this hit “B” on your keyboard to access it.

As you can see in the photo, the coloring on the rig seems a bit plain, and off. This is why we color correct it.

After you open up your brush tool you’re going to see at the top bar, settings for your brush.
On the top left, you’re going to click the icon with the arrow and pick the brush “Soft Round Preasure Size”
showcase 2.png @ 48.6% (Layer 1, RGB_8) _ 10_28_2020 3_27_51 PM
Now after you’ve done that, put the hardness on 0%. Exit out of that and go to your top bar again where all of your brush settings are Here’s what I recommend for the brush settings. Opacity- 100%
Flow-100%
Smoothing- 0%

Step 2: Adding the Corrections on the GFX:
After you fixed the settings of your brush, make a new layer by hitting the “+” in your “Layers” tab. For the sake of this tutorial, I"ll name it “corrections”. You don’t have to name it, it’s your choice.

After that go to the color tab which is on the top left and pick a color that’s lighter than your original color on the rig. Since mine is yellow, I’m going to pick a yellow that’s brighter than the original color.

Now since, your done with that, you can now paint your character! If some parts are different then others, then do the same thing, expect to find colors that are brighter than the original color on the different parts. If you need to size the brush, then click on the arrow again, and drag the size up and down until you find one that suits you best.

Don’t mind my critique ark skills, but now we’ve finished painting our character! Were almost done with the process! If the brush passed by any areas outside to rig, go to the brush tool below it and click on any areas that you’ve missed.

Step 3: Finishing Corrections:
Horray! Were almost done with the corrections! The final step is to go to your “Layers” tab and hit the arrow on top where it says “Normal”. Scroll down and click “Overlay”.

Congratulations! You’ve now properly Color Corrected your rig! As you can see, there is a major difference in the color in the rig.

Before:

After:

Conclusion:
Thanks to everyone who read this tutorial. I hope that this helped beginning and advanced GFX Designers on the ROBLOX Platform! Stay safe, and have a good day/night! :roblox_light:

How Well Explained was the Tutorial?

• Great!
  • Good, but needs more explaining.
  • Didn’t understand it at all.

0 voters

Did this tutorial help you?

• Yes!
  • No.

0 voters

Will you use any of these methods in this tutorial?

• Yes.
  • Yes, but in the future.
  • No.

0 voters

7 Likes

If I can afford adobe photoshop.

2 Likes

You don’t need Photoshop! Gimp or even any drawing or photo editing program works fine.

1 Like

Are the instructions the same for Gimp? I only have yearly free trials of Photoshop. Or Photoshop express. Does that work?

It would be great if you do the same tutorial in PaintDotNet.

What exactly is the point of color correcting with photoshop brush tool, of all things?

The Before looks much better than the after…

In the second screenshot, there’s a weird border, a weird circle on the leg, and the character doesn’t seem to fit in with its environment.

Maybe this technique could be useful, but your implementation of it is terrible. If someone were trying to make the whole thumbnail, or even just the character brighter, they’d be better off using some other post processing process – you know, not a paintbrush – or changing the rendering settings.

1 Like

Yes, I think Photoshop Express will work.

1 Like

Hello! Thanks for the criticism! There’s multiple ways to do this, this is just an easier way. To actually color correct it, sometimes you need packs or blender. I just thought this in an easier way. Thanks for the feedback!

1 Like

This tutorial about color correction is rather misleading. Color correction is about adjustments made to the exposure, white balance, contrast and white/back levels of a photo or video. This is more-so of a post about adding effects to an image or render.

Studiobinder has published an informative article about color corrections and color grading in the cinematics field which happens to translate very well to photo editing: https://www.studiobinder.com/blog/color-grading-vs-color-correction-process/

2 Likes

Yea, true. Let me change the title. I found this effect myself, and I just named it color corrections because there was a huge difference in color and saturation with it. Thanks for the feedback!

I really need help. Two problems. So, I import the rig. Delete the head. Texture. But, the skin is black. I’ve used the character texture not clothing template. Next problem, importing the rig, deleting the head. But the posing doesn’t work, it selects the whole template of the pose buttons. I can’t change it to pose mode either.

1 Like