GFX Editing Lesson 1: Basic Criteria and Fundamentals

Introduction:
DISCLAIMER: This is my first tutorial, so if I’m doing anything wrong. All examples and work provided is not mine, and I give full credit to the owners.
Hello fellow developers! My name is jxyvzz, and welcome to your first ever GFX Editing Tutorial! In a few list of topics, I will be teaching you how to edit GFX professionally, but first were going to have to learn the fundamentals and the basics. In here, i’m going to teach you some basics to help you grow into your career as an artist! I will be giving emojis that represent criteria that is important, or you must follow:

• :warning: Important Material

• :white_check_mark: Remember or Study On:

Any word that’s in bold means vocabulary or a definition of something.

Without further ado, let’s begin!

1. Texture:

:warning: What does texture mean and what does it have to do with GFX?

• :white_check_mark: Texture refers to the way an object feels or looks.

• When creating GFX, we are working with perceived texture, not actual texture itself.

• For example when you’re creating a drawing, and you making a ground, you probably want to perceive it as hard or smooth.

Here's a visual example of texture being used(Not my work.).

As you can see in the top left corner he drew a crest of a cave. If you can look closer, you can also see if has the same texture as a rock. He/She followed the element of texture by adding shading and color details to perceive or make it feel it rough. :white_check_mark:

:warning: Now there are two types of texture. Tactile texture, meaning how the actual thing feels, which we don’t need. Visual texture is perceived as something that it might actually feel, which I explained above if you wanna recap. That concludes everything you need to know about texture, feel free to take notes if you want!

1. :warning:Shading:
  • :white_check_mark:Shading depicts the range of light and darkness on an object or surface by using darkness and light on certain areas.

• This can also in some way depict the element of texture, as shading can perceive something how it feels or looks.

Shading Example

As you can see in the image, this sphere is using shading. The top shows where the area sheds light, which shows value, which i"ll explain later. This can also determine what light is shining in an area, and where the darkness is when the shades are darker. :white_check_mark:

Why Does Shading Have to Do with GFX?

:white_check_mark: This is because shading contributes to value and texture, meaning that sometimes, it can depict what something feels and a sense of realisim. Value can determine where light is shining and where it’s not, which can be pretty useful for GFX. Texturing can also be pretty useful, as with the shading gradient it can probably perceive in a person’s perspective that the object is smooth.
That’s all you need to know about shading! Feel free to take notes if you want!

1. :warning:Value:
  • :white_check_mark: Value is how we use light and dark into our artwork, how light or dark our artwork or color is.

• This can be used by shading light and dark, and mixing black and white to a color.

• With the proper use of value, we can also make our drawings look more interesting and realistic.

Value Example

:white_check_mark:As you can see in this example, we have a value scale. The lowest option is a box colored in white, and the highest is black. If you mix or blend the lowest and the highest with a color, it can create something called a gradient, which is included in shade, and can also make something like this.

What does value have to do with GFX?

Becuase value can like I said in the other two sections, bring realism to GFX. For example, if you wanted to add sun to GFX, you can use value by mixing white with yellow to make a lighting effect, and can also bring shading to more unique GFXs. Another example is night GFX, you can make a moon with light by adding black and white, mixing it with yellow to add some shading to make it “simplistic”. The whole point of value is to bring or show light into a piece of art, because your using inverted colors to bring shading.
That’s all you need to know about value! Feel free to take notes if you want!

1. :warning:Color:
  • :white_check_mark:Color is seen when light is reflected back to your eye from an object. There are three properties of color. They are hue, intensity, and value.
    There’s multiple vocabulary you need to know about color, so read carefully.

• :white_check_mark:Hue – the name given to the color. (red, blue, yellow, green, etc.)

• :white_check_mark:Intensity – the amount of saturation a color has.

• :white_check_mark:Value – how light or dark a color is. This refers to tint (adding white) and shade. (adding black)

Examples:

This is our hue. These are all of are colors. All colors in art are listed as hues.

If you look at the bottom, those are saturated hues. These colors mix in with gray, making them look kinda lie pastel colors. The lowest has a small intensity, while the highest has a high intensity. The higher the intensity a hue has, the higher saturation it has in the hue.

What does color have to do with GFX?

:white_check_mark:Many reasons as to why it does. Colors can help make cool effects to GFX, and all contribute to lighting, shading and texture. Saturation and intesnity play a big role in this because t can help with shading in buildings, models, and some scenes. Value can help with lighting, and rough terrain textures, which also include color. Textures can contribute to the color, as it can perceive as what something might look like suh a rocky terrain with brown or a soft cloud with white.
That’s all you need to know about color! Feel free to take notes if you want!

Conclusion:
Congratulations, you’ve now learned the basic art fundamentals of art to help you edit GFX! I will be making a second tutorial about editing, since you’ve now mastered the basics! Iv’e hoped this helped you fully understand tips to help you become familiar with the art background and GFX editing itself. Thanks for reading, and have a good day/night!

How well explained was the tutorial?

• Great!
  • Good, but needs to be explained more.
  • Didn’t understand it at all.

0 voters

Did this tutorial help you?

• Yes!
  • No.

0 voters

Do you find this tutorial useful?

• Yes!
  • Yes, but we"ll use it later on.
  • No.

0 voters

Thanks for reading! If you have any questions, feel free to ask me in the replies! :derp:

33 Likes

The 2nd and 3rd polls are the same topic. Just a heads up.

4 Likes

Oops, your right! Let me fix that, I just wanted to see if it was helpful for did it help them Third was will it be used later on. Do you mean the questions?

3 Likes

Nice tutorial! Strongly applaud you for adding visuals rather than just giving a written explanation, they’ll definitely help beginning graphics artists.

2 Likes

Ok! Will be doing that in the future, thanks fior your feedback!

2 Likes