[GFX] Looking for feedback on remade GFX

~Hello~

I just finished remaking one of my GFX and would now appreciate some Feedback . Which one do you think looks better?

~The GFX~

~Old Version~

Thank you for the feedback :smiley:

21 Likes

it looks great and the new version made it better :slight_smile: keep going

3 Likes

Thank you for the feedback!! :smiley:

3 Likes

Lighting looks better in the first one. Honestly the original is just fine, maybe add some texture/effects to the detective’s clothing to make it pop more.

8 Likes

Thank you for the feedback. In the new GFX I already had some folds put onto the clothing - its probably hard to see due to the lighting.

5 Likes

Honestly original looks way better, the remake looks like someone took a photo of heavily scratched monitor with some light reflecting on the display

3 Likes

The „scratches“ should represent snow, which in the original didn‘t exist. About the lamp - do you think it is way to bright?.

1 Like

That indent on the face is really weird.
edit nvm thats the old one

3 Likes

The first one looks better than the second one in my opinion, the first one looks a lot more realistic for some reason.

5 Likes

I don’t know, but they both look very great! :+1:t5:

2 Likes

Hey! First off, really nice concept of GFX! I really like the attention to detail where your snow meshes collide with the bottles and trashcan, giving it the impression that the snow is actually there and not just a mere effect layered on top of your render!

However, I do have some inputs that I’d like to state. Please note that I’m only a mere adept, I do not call myself as a “professional artist”, therefore my input may be lacking a few aspects however still hopefully be useful enough!

• 1, Realism
    Making a ROBLOX GFX is not always so easy, because you have to factor in three major things: Posing, Lighting, and the Environment.

- Poses
    Depending on what GFX it is, there’s always a main focus character(s), object(s), environment, etc. Your GFX mainly focuses on the character, with the background as the environment supporting the main character’s characteristic. In terms of the pose, I really feel like it’s quite stiff. Now, I can’t really tell you what I mean by this, but let me tell you how you can somewhat create a much realistic pose.

Go to an empty but spacious room, and try recreating your pose. If you want to avoid cringe-ness at all costs, ensure the doors are locked and no hidden cameras are in place. (Even Disney animators lock themselves up in a restroom just to recreate their animations!)

If that is not suitable for you, you can just look at some pose references on Google! In the case of your pose, I recommend that you bend the limbs more! Make it so like the character is actually leaning and pressing towards the wall, add the impression that the wall is actually holding his pose.

- Props & Environment
    Now in regards of props, I believe those glass bottles can be much more better! If you’re using Blender Cycles Engine, you can go to the material, change it from Principled BSDF to Glass BSDF, go to Film (Render Properties > Film), then click on Transparent Glass.

For the trash can, you can adjust the Metallic value, Roughness value, or even create materials using Shader Editor and nodes! Shader Editor is a really good workspace that uses nodes and you can really play around with various textures such as Voronoi Texture, Noise Texture, or even displacement textures (Modifier Properties > Add Modifier > Deform > Displace, then scroll down to Texture Properties)!

Now for that brick PBR, I suggest inputting a Mapping node, then plug in a Value node to control the size of the bricks, because realistically, a brick wouldn’t really be that big…

- Lighting & Types of Lighting
    Now, each scene calls for different lighting types. However for me I usually use what I call a “Two Tone Contrast Lighting” (not an official name). It’s named that way because I usually use two tones that contradicts with another, making a good contrast color between each other, and then add a neutral light (ambient light, usually cyan, pastel colors, etc) to put some highlights to either the environment, props, or the character’s accessories.

In the case of your GFX, the main lighting is already good enough, however I do have some suggestions. First, lower down the lamp light, put some more saturation (make it more orange-ish). After, add a small area light, maybe a neutral light if you want (cyan/blue).

Now, onto nerdy stuff; Lighting has different types:

• One Point Lighting, essentially the source of light is only from one direction/one source.
    • Two Point Lighting, where lighting comes from two directions/sources. The first source is the main lighting, then the second source is an ambient light, usually to fill the ambience. A good example of this would be in our daily lives, the sun is the main light source, while the blue sky becomes our ambience light.
    • Three Point Lighting, where lighting comes from three directions/sources. The key light, the brightest amongst all three should be the one that’s near the main object/character. The fill light, placed on the other end of the key light, is a source of light that’s less brighter than the key light, however its purpose is to remove unnecessary shadows casted from the key light. The final light, the rim light, is meant to detach the main characters/objects from the background, making the viewer more focusing on the object itself but also adds highlight onto the character/object.

Now, a crucial note: Your GFX, your choice! These lighting types are sure essential to know, but however it is still practically your choice to either use them or not! Though for me, I don’t really use them that much.

- Cloth
    Now for the cloth, the cloth gives away some part of the “character’s skin”. Therefore, we can make this an opportunity to make the clothing actually look like clothing! This is unfortunately only a technique for Blender 2.9+ so if you’re using anything but that, this won’t work.

• Differentiate between NoMat or Mat with folders
      In order to Blender to recognize which part we need the clothing to be appealing and actually be different, we need to split them to two materials. Export your character firstly with the clothing, name it as “Material” or “mat” for short. Export your character again but this time without any clothing, you can export it with the title “No Materials” or “nomat” in a different folder, this nomat image will be the skin of the character, while the mat image will be the clothing of the character.

Next, go to your editor software, go to your mat image and delete the skin on the image. Make sure you export it as PNG, as JPEG cannot be exported as a transparent image.

After that, change the image texture on the rig to the nomat image. Duplicate the limbs of the rig, re-texture the image to the mat image. Go to the Shader Editor, then link the Alpha of the Image Texture to the Alpha on the Principled BSDF. Once that is done, go to the Material Properties, scroll down until you reach the Settings, then click the dropdown of the Blend Mode from Opaque to Alpha Clip. This way, Blender knows that we want to make the Alpha of the mat texture to be transparent.

Unfortunately, I no longer retain the time to create the second chapter which was supposedly “2, Post Render”. I do hope however this tip suffice and be helpful, because I really did spend hours on this reply…

Anyways, don’t forget that playing with your tools and properties really matter and does help when you stumble something helpful for your future GFX scenes! Good luck on your GFX adventure.

• *Note: I really don’t have the time to look back and scout for grammar errors so I apologize if I happen to make one.
6 Likes

In the new version there is a big improvement in the textures and shaders (the bottles, the bin, the bricks and the snow). But it is also true that in the old version the light is very well managed, thus creating effects and shadows that are not there in the new one (see the dress, in the new one it is very flat). I advise you to raise the normal map value to make the dress more wrinkled. Nice work anyway!

1 Like

I like the old version better, it looks smoother and is easier to see.

1 Like