Gifting Games, Passes and Assets

I think this has been partially requested previously in relation to game passes, but I’d like to further extend this to all assets, including clothing and games.

I’d love to see Roblox implement a gifting feature, which allows players to purchase items on behalf of another player and, if accepted, added to the other player’s inventory.

One scenario where this would be particularly useful would be in relation to my niece: there are certain games that me and her cousin play (e.g. Bloxburg) that must be purchased with Robux, which she does not possess. I’d be more than happy to purchase and gift the game to her, but this is currently impossible.

This could work much like Steam, where a friend is selected and you can optionally schedule the asset to be delivered (or delivered instantly otherwise). The friend then either accepts or declines. If declined, the Robux paid are returned to the buyer (perhaps pending for a few days would be fine). If accepted, the asset is added to the friends inventory.

Edit: If implemented, perhaps the recipient should have 28 days (or so) to accept after receiving the gift request. If the recipient does not interact with the request, it is automatically declined and the Robux are returned to the buyer after a few days.

Edit 2:

I believe it would also be a good idea to add an option to account restrictions to allow parents to disable gifting on their child’s account; this might include options such as:

• Disable Sending Gifts (Disabled by default on under 13 accounts)
  • Disable Receiving Gifts

Both options would likely be simple check boxes/toggles as gifting should be restricted to friends only.

106 Likes

I support, but a few statements:

Would this gifting feature have the same 30% transferrance tax that gets applied to other developer products?

(If there is a 30% tax) Why not have the person you’re gifiting something to make a gamepass and have you buy the gamepass? It’s the same thing except they can spend the Robux however they’d want.

In the advent that you’d want to a gift a specific asset (the purpose of this feature request), then sure, this transferrance does seem reasonable.

I would find this helpful and would like utilize this feature myself. I too have a sister who wanted a gamepass from Royale High that I unfotunately couldn’t gift. I had to use the hacky gamepass method.

Lastly this seems very launder-proof as I can’t think of any scenarios off the top of my head. Support!

7 Likes

The idea is being able to gift a specific asset rather than giving them the Robux. This way, you know they’re not spending the Robux on anything else, because they physically can’t.

I’m currently using the group payout method for my niece, but I didn’t realise how long that took since the recent updates. Hadn’t even considered game passes. However, I’d much prefer to know that those Robux are going on the game she wants, and she’s not going to waste them on a hat or something.

Edit: And I do think VAT should still apply to gifted items. I don’t think it’s necessary to apply gifting to Developer Products, however, as that’s something developers can quite easily implement themselves through the use of DataStores and accessing a player’s friend list.

6 Likes

If this gets implemented, a 13+ age limit would probably be for the better since kids are prone to being scammed. It’s a great idea but scams are my only concern. Maybe a “scam school” thing players have to go through before they can use gifts that makes sure they understand that they are giving the gift as a gift and that any sort of promised “return” isn’t guaranteed to happen.

4 Likes

Just thought of this recently. I have some friends I’d like to play certain paid games with, but they either don’t have a credit card, or just don’t want to spend their money on Roblox.

Sending the funds through groups or other means involves the usual 30% tax, takes too long to approve (took 2 weeks to send 200 robux a month ago) and there is no guarantee they’ll actually use the Robux for what I intended.

7 Likes

That’s really great idea i hope Roblox will add it.