Give Plugin Access to Studio Simulation

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to use the press any of the simulation buttons in studio, such as the play button, outside of studio or as part of my tooling.

It would be very nice for example to edit studio in a VR headset but if I wanted to press play, I need to take off my headset press play, and put it back on.

If I wanted to test my game using my editor of choice VSCode, I have to change windows, press play, and then view the results inside VSCode. Both are not great UX.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because it would improve the UX for developers making tooling around Roblox studio, expanding what is possible within studio and allow for unique tooling such as what has been identified above.

12 Likes

I think this underlines a bigger issue of Roblox’s VR support still being kind of odd and not very filled out. Roblox is quickly becoming very late to VR, as I don’t deem their current tools developer friendly enough to warrant most VR projects anyways. I’d rather just use Unity or something.

Beyond that, I definitely agree it could be interesting to give access to these simulation tools to plugins.