Give users more control over what parts of the inventory is hidden

As a Roblox developer and player, there are often cases where I would like to hide certain parts of my inventory but still have other parts visible. For example, I may want to allow users to view my plugins and see what plugins I have developed but I do not want to show them my models.

If Roblox were able to address this, it would make it easier to hide specific parts of my inventory instead of having to allow users to view all sections of my inventory.

78 Likes

I don’t want to hide all of my inventory since I want my models and decals and etc. to be easily accessible, and I don’t mind users viewing my accessories. However, I don’t want users to see what sounds, animations, and meshes I’m uploading (e.g. due to update spoilers and theft), or weird old clothing and t-shirts from 2009. I want more granular control over which categories of my inventory people are allowed to see.

19 Likes

So, everybody knows the private inventory option, however the other day I thought of an extra option,

So, I remember, while the private inventory was still not a thing, I used to play this Roblox game, (you might probably know it…) called R2D:A (Reason 2 Die Awakening), I liked the game soo much, I even tried my best, a couple years ago, to make an map for it, but thats another story, so anyway, the way new updates for the game were leaked, is by visiting the game makers inventory,

Example

(For an example, the game was a zombie game, and it had a custom gamemode, where you fight against a boss, so because the bosses were most of the time made out of meshes, of course, a dedicated player could just check out the game makers meshes in the inventory, to at least get a sneak peak at the new update, of course, that’s actually one reason why Roblox made the private inventory update, we all know it.)

So yesterday, I thought of something, totally optional, but, I think that it would be a good addition if there would be more control over what parts of the inventory are private and what parts are not, this will help developers the most, If they want to show off their accessories, limiteds or badges or really what ever they want to show off, but at the same time, keep their assets and creations private, untill they release them to the public, or it would at least spark more creativity into general people into customizing their profile and inventory more!

• Behold, my super extreme, cool and whatever else, photoshop, and inspect element skills!

• Here is what I have in my mind of what the settings page for this should look like…

• Here is what should it look like if a developer would enable for people to see their normal inventory, and keep their assets for potential updates, protected from people who are trying to leak the update for the same game.
    (The sections that contain developer’s game assets would be faded indicating that the person cannot view that section of the developer’s or person’s inventory.)

Of course, this is my poor inventory, I of course don’t have anything to show off, but imagine this was some popular developer’s inventory with millions of robux in items worth, that are ready to trade.

• Here is what should it look like, if an person tried to access the private section of the inventory, by lets say, changing the link, or doing something else that would lead them to that page. (Since the button should be locked, so people can’t just like regularly click on it.)

I messed up with the colors in this picture, I had already exported the file, and I couldn’t bother to make another picture just to change the colors, anyway it would say something along these lines “You cannot see this section of this player’s inventory.”

Now, keep in mind; This feature should be only a side-feature, and an totally optional feature, this is not something like super needed, and if it would been added that it would change people lifes, this is just an little cool extra feature, that might make people more interested in the settings, and making them more interested in customizing their profile.

This feature could maybe benefit the developers and regular users that want to show off their inventories and also want to trade, but at the same time keep their creations, or custom set things private, this would also maybe make less people with full on private inventory, expanding and making this page, at least a bit more open.

Oopsie moment...

Well, as I was ending this post, I found something, and it looks like there were already an people that had the same idea as me, before, I couldn’t really find their posts (I really hate when this happens), so I didn’t really know that people had already suggested the same thing before, but I really do apologize if anyone has already seen the same suggestion over and over, I am still going to post this suggestion, since it took me some time to come up with this all, here are the links of other suggestions if you want to check them out too;

Only hide personally-made assets from a user's inventory

16 Likes

As a Roblox developer, it is currently not able to control who can use an asset you make/upload on the platform. For example, if I just want myself and a friend to only use a decal or MeshPart, I should be able to change permission to allow only certain users to use the MeshPart. Same goes for decals, audio and the like. This is especially important when an exploiter is able to steal your map and use your assets without your permission, or your friend gives away the MeshPart you created to other people without you knowing.

Currently, the Archive tool only allows me to take down the asset from the marketplace in the event of an exploit where the exploiter is able to steal my assets & give them away without my permission. For example, if I create a bus with around 400 MeshParts, along with Decals for the livery & safety/accessibility features, and one day the bus is “stolen” by an exploiter and s/he gives it away to others, which could potentially be in violation of the Terms of Service & Community Rules, as well as potential trademark violations, I would have no choice but to archive every single 400 meshparts plus all the decals I put into it. I would then have to reupload the entire thing, which could take weeks or months.

Experiences
Recently, I found out that a bus I’ve helped a friend made got leaked to the public by an exploiter. Upon discovery, I had to locate every mesh that was used on the bus, since now whoever has a copy of the model has unauthorized access to the meshes I put in the bus. Although I managed to archive all the meshes that were in the leaked bus, it took around an hour to find the individual meshes and archive them. Plus, I plan to use those meshes again for a different project in the future, however I would have to reupload the same mesh again for each individual part. Locating all the meshes that was in the leaked bus was a very frustrating process since I had to open multiple tabs while going through my Mesh Creations.

I worry about in future in the event an exploiter were to seep through the cracks in my Roblox group, join my game and steal not only my buses I made but the rest of the components in the game. If it does, then I would have to locate and archive all 400+ meshes I used to make the buses, plus the 25 buses inside my map. Adding to that, I’d have to reupload every single 400+ meshes (the .obj mesh upload method doesn’t work for me right now, since it doesn’t split meshes over 10000 triangles) with the slow, .fbx method of uploading, which can take weeks if not moths for each bus I’d have to reupload.

How it works
Similar to Roblox allowing only certain users to edit their maps, there would be a button which can say “Who can use this asset”, & I would be able to select Everyone, My Friends, Custom (I would be able to select who exactly can use it or everyone can use it except these people), or just me.
That way, only those who’ve I’ve selected can use the specific asset in their games.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because not only will I be able to control who can use the assets I create in their games, but to prevent exploiters from accessing my stuff I’m not able to release for a variety of reasons. In the event they do get access, I can quickly and easily revoke their access without having to re-import the asset.

8 Likes

We really need this essential feature. Rolimon’s, for example, is a trading site which I find really helpful to track my limiteds. I want my inventory to be open so that everyone can see what avatar items I own.

At the same time I do not want development-related items, such as decals, badges, animations, audio, game passes, models, or plugins to be public. These assets are meant to be private and I do not want users seeing exactly what I’ve uploaded.

A while ago I accidentally uploaded a formal document containing personal info with signatures and all that as a decal. How that got past moderation/I did not get warned is beyond me, but at that time my inventory was public and that would have not been a pleasant surprise.

Even though it was my mistake, I’d have loved a little safety net. I haven’t heard anyone talk about this, but perhaps inventory control can also involve degrees, ranging from personal to friends to everyone like the current system has.

tl;dr: There needs to be a way to make avatar accessories public but uploadable assets such as decals private.

9 Likes

I would like this feature too. I don’t want to share decals, but would like my plugins and and avatar accessories to be visible. In the past I would upload on an alt account to keep content from leaking, but I had to reupload much of my audio earlier this year and didn’t want to need to do that with images potentially.

Alternatively it would be nice to have an easy way to go through and specifically remove decals/audio from my inventory in bulk (without archiving), and have an option where I need to manually add my uploaded decals to my inventory for them to appear there.

11 Likes

Back developing and yet again this is still a feature I find myself wanting more and more. People take assets more and more and I still want to be able to share certain parts of my inventory publicly.

2 Likes

This reminded me of a post I stumbled upon
a while ago, which proposed an “archive” feature: Create an "Archived" section in your inventory for deleted assets/catalog items

Aforementioned post and this thread both remind me of how a “delete” feature used to exist- which arguably was very damaging through to account compromisation. Removing the old “delete” feature for items and assets was largely beneficial but it’s prevented users from removing or hiding unused items from their inventories.

I really do appreciate you bringing this issue to light fivefactor, as this kind of feature is definitely extremely needed. I cannot stress just how much I want to hide in my inventory- especially because I’ve bought so much over time and it’s become a struggle to find a specific item. We’re only limited to either making our entire inventory public or private which really isn’t enough. I think Roblox could definitely implement an archive feature for the regular inventory similar to how you can already archive games. While I can see all of my created games (around 20 in total) in Studio, I can only see around half of those in my inventory. It removes a lot of clutter and allows me to easily find what I’m looking for and what I still use.

I see how many users in this thread seem to like the idea of hiding specific sections of your inventory, for example Models, Decals, Faces etc. However, I personally think it may be better off to allow users to select specific items from that section to archive.

While this post seemingly veers towards removing select developer assets, it could additionally make avatar customization much easier should this feature be implemented for all inventory categories. I have many items I don’t wear at all- for example, event items that I collected for the sheer fun of it or items I bought years ago that I lost interest in. The sole exception to this might be Limited items. Sites such as RBLXTrade and Rolimons require seeing a user’s Limited items to track data, as M_caw suggested. For solely Limiteds it could be toggled to show either all of them or none of them. Being able to clear out my inventory and selecting only what I use would make customizing my character much simpler, especially because we can only scroll past pages of items without a search feature or additional filter of any kind besides sorting by category.

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development and customization experience because being able to remove such items could make finding or hiding items in your inventory less of a hassle.

That sure was a stretch but I really wanted to provide my input on the matter, haha!

2 Likes