Glass Distortion Effect

Wanted to make a layer so it was hard to see into the room behind so I came up with this idea using
a mesh I created in blender.

43 Likes

Though I am also curious, is it possible to achieve this same effect by playing around with textures and transparency on Roblox studio?

1 Like

Not yet.
As far as I’m aware, normal mapping — which is supposed to be relased later this year — should allow Textures to create such distortion effects.

5 Likes

Normal mapping alone doesn’t usually produce a distortion effect like we are talking about, but maybe if you apply a normal map to the pre-existing glass material it will?

3 Likes

Yes, I meant it only for the Glass material. A part can be flat, but the normal mapping can add fake geometry to it, which should affect the way Glass material distorts “light” passing through it.

3 Likes

Ya I think that’s gonna be a big game changer. It’s essentially going to lower the need of using third party software. I also heard the same thing about animations as there working in a new default software for animators.

1 Like

yeah I don’t have do hacky fake spec maps now

2 Likes

Are you planning on putting that mesh up for public use?

1 Like

The idea of having it built into roblox would be nice, but the mesh looks clean in the design.

can’t wait to fanboy over the build you’re making. You always make amazing builds.

1 Like