Glass material in viewport doesn't show world objects behind it

I don’t know if this is intended or not, but it didn’t use to happen up until a week or two ago
When setting the transparency of a glass part located inside a viewportframe, instead of the part becoming transparent, it just shows the background of the viewportframe unlike other materials.

This also happens on the actual game, not only in studio
Edit: Repro file just in case Baseplate.rbxl (20.0 KB)

9 Likes

Looks like a bug. Investigatiing.

6 Likes

Is this issue going to be resolved any time soon? Cause I need that mechanic for something in my game, If not I will start looking for a different way of doing it.

2 Likes

Have you been able to find a way to make the glass transparent? Like some sort of work around

I’ve tried some things before, but to no avail. I don’t think there are any work arounds for now.

2 Likes

One year after, still not fixed.

Seems like two years! But this glitch kind of makes sense.

The background color of the viewport is white, so the glass will refract the white light until it’s completely invisible. It won’t be able to refract the light in the workspace, since it’s UI which can be moved anywhere, and the fact that the viewport frame texture is probably rendered separately and only when objects inside are changed.

If this was ‘fixed’, what would it look like? Would it be able to refract the light in the workspace, or simply change transparency like a normal part? If that last one is the case, I would just use SmoothPlastic instead of Glass.