Global servers messaging

would this be possible with a large scale game? what are y’alls thoughts on this? to keep things simple, lets say players can post an item for sale and others, on any server could view it, like it, comment on it, etc. they could search specific categories or just view trending items, etc. would even just this be possible? i have many other ideas but i just want to get some pros and cons of this type of thing. i’ve seen similar in some games, like big games my restaurant used to have a place to upload items, set price but i think they removed it and i just tried to play the game and its just endlessly free falling so i cant check

1 Like

yes this is possible with the Cross-Server Messaging:
Cross-Server Messaging | Roblox Creator Documentation
this allows servers to communicate with each other

3 Likes

would be possible but depends on server size really since that dictates the amount of messages ur allowed per minute to be sent per game, and you need to make sure any errors are accounted for in the case of that limit being reached. if servers were to be 1 player for instance i believe the amount ur allowed for the game is 210 messages per minute, (using messagingservice as the person above said)

1 Like

i’ll look into it, maybe i’ll make it load say 50 posts, then as users scroll down more can load. obviously a notification for every single post wouldn’t be possible but maybe just from people that are followed by the user

You could use OrderedDataStore and apply the sorting index as the most recently posted item, or the one with most clicks or interactions. The OrderedDataStore itself would have to have a reference to the userId of the player who posted the item, either an item index uniquely retrievable from the players own inventory DataStore (separate from the OrderedDataStore ‘For Sale List’). Or a unique table to be stored and ordered created on-the-fly when players chose to list items for sale, i.e. whatever info is stored about the item in the players own inventory DataStore is copied and indexed in an OrderedDataStore for you to list in real-time. This would require two-way communication in that you must have a flag in the players DataStore to switch on when they list the item for sale or up-for-grabs. I hope this makes some sense!!

1 Like