Good horror game design tips

Now i love Roblox horror games and there’s great ones out there! But every time i play one it shares tropes that i see in pretty much all of them. So i just want to talk about it here to maybe inspire some people to make better horror games!

Jumpscares
You might of heard this before but… Jumscares are, WAY too over used in Roblox horror games I personally think jumpscares are cheap and a bad way to “scare” people, usually its your do something and a loud sound plays with a scary visual. The problem with jumpscares is they are effective the first time you do it and maybe even the second time! But if used excessively can just desensitize the player and they wont jump anymore especially when you play as many horror games as i do jumpscares start to feel… Boring and dry. If you really want to add jumpscares i would really recommend you try to add a small amount OR completely remove jumpscares all together. (yes this is possible)

Sound design
Most people i think know this but don’t do anything about it. Most games just have natural ambience meaning things like wind, doors, clicking of switches, generators and other normal sounding things which IS important but other sounds are important as well. A couple games with good sound design are PINSTRIPE MURDERS and Recovery. Recovery especially has great sound design. I’m not saying you have to spend a year and learn sound design but maybe watch a video or two on it and try your best!

tutorials
This pretty much goes for every type of game but is useful in horror games as well. Having no tutorials is a great way to get your player immersed which is really important in a horror game, I always see this a lot, When i do something to unlock another thing the game should not tell me where to go or what to do that makes your game feel more like a check list of things you HAVE to do instead of figuring it out for yourself. A good way for people to know what do to without being told is have things insinuate it from the start like when you find a key you think that must mean there’s a locked door somewhere. Or when you find a gear there’s a broken machine somewhere. If you would like a amazing example on invisible tutorials then there’s a amazing video on YouTube made by game makers toolkit about half life’s invisible tutorials that i suggest you go watch if your interested.

Play on existing fears
Some people have a fear of the dark or a fear of clowns or… A fear of the unknown.
A good example of this is well Five Nights At Freddy’s. A lot of people either were or are scared of Animatronics. Which is exactly why Fnaf was made and a part of why it was scary to people. Another good example of this is all the lists of phobia games that are on Roblox, These games are taking an existing fear or unease that people feel and turning it into a nightmare experience.

Dont repeat
Find new ways to do things in your games, If you use the same method of scaring the player once then don’t do that method again for a long time or it will become predictable and in turn not scary anymore. This goes for gameplay as well, Almost every horror game i see has the same type of gameplay for most of the game… Brining item A to item B. This will almost defiantly always be used in horror games but try to find more interesting ways to bring item A to item B and keep mixing it up through out the game, this makes it feel less repetitive and less boring.

That’s pretty much all i have to say and i hope you don’t take most of this as me trying to tell you how to make games. If you think everything iv said is completely wrong and you don’t want to listen then that’s fine. The most important thing is that you have fun making the games but maybe try and be a little more mindful if your game is fun to be played. :slight_smile:

I did spend a long time typing this all out so please show some support!

10 Likes

Anothing thing to add onto this is, having a sense of direction that you can use to toy with the player is generally a good thing. Most roblox games lack that direction and logic that good horror games have.
Also having a self consistent world, meaning that you have a set of rules for your world which you don’t break, meaning you can get the player to apply logic too your game. Then if you do eventually break them you can break them in a such a manor to scare the player.
Puzzels are also a good thing, having hidden puzzels around the world to reveal more information about your world is a good way to build a dedicated fanbase.

3 Likes