Grab These New Physical Dragger Features!

Amazing feature guys! Keep up the great work. This will make animations SO much easier, plus free moving is good. I like the realism it has. Good job everyone at Roblox!

3 Likes

The constraints are moved right? (sorry my profession isnt building)

Would it be possible to get an option to return this model back to a state before they were even moved when you switch back to geometric?

3 Likes

That’s what Undo is for. The whole point of this is to let you transform/pose an object. If it’s not what you want, Undo is your friend :slight_smile: Or manually setting transforms on the hierarchy.

8 Likes

Brilliant update! I had some trouble with old Roblox developing controls before, this will definitely help me!
Update: I tried it out again, and this is extremely smooth for me.

3 Likes

This is super revolutionary and will definitely help many including me on building projects. So long to manually editing each joint!

4 Likes

For the icons, we chose to switch to checkboxes, they make it more obvious to the user if they toggle is on or not.

As for the movements, I’m not 100% sure what you’re describing specifically, but I think it may be one of two things.
First, the part is solving collisions as you drag it, so if it hits the stones or other objects it will rotate so as to not overlap with the colliding objects.
Second, you may be referring to the drag movement, we chose to go with a 2-axis in-camera-plane drag to mimic a force imparted on the dragged part by your cursor as you drag.

If I got that wrong please let me know, but from the video you posted, I don’t notice anything working in an unintended manner

4 Likes

Woah! Those are really sweet models!

4 Likes

FINALLY!!! I kinda wish this was done earlier, as I spent a couple of hours a few days ago, just straight up grinding those CTRL + U, CTRL + G keys, as I couldn’t have selected those little parts, that you just can’t find. I’m glad this was added, great job! I’m definitely most excited about Scope Selection, the other features are a great addition, but oh man, Scope Selection is gonna save us all some big-time alright.
I’m just excited to see what comes out of this.

2 Likes

OH MY GOSH YES!! I LOVE IT! But why on Monday?! xD Thank you for this feature it helps a lot!

2 Likes

FYI, scope selection has always been available if you hold the ALT key while clicking on parts

4 Likes

Wow, this is an amazing thing. 100% like it!

2 Likes

Thanks! Help me understand something–scope selection has been in Studio for a while. Alt-click in Geometric mode (or all the time in the old UI) or default behavior in Physical mode. Was this something you didn’t know about, or did this UI improvement make a difference for you?

3 Likes

Thanks! And because we didn’t want to wait for Tuesday.

5 Likes

I wish someone told me that… This feels awkward now.

1 Like

Yeah it should definitely be more obvious that this behavior is available

3 Likes

Don’t worry–you’d be amazed how many folks internally didn’t know either (myself included!). That’s why we changed the default behavior in physical mode, too: most people didn’t know you could scope select.

5 Likes

FYI you could always alt-click to select sub parts (and can still do so in geometric mode).

We just chose to invert the no-ALT / ALT behavior for geometric mode

4 Likes

We’ll take that feedback into account, but my default answer is no because think of it like you’re trying to grow the object but it hits a wall. The wall stops it from growing more.

4 Likes

@JoshSedai You don’t happen to have that complex rig would you? For testing purposes or maybe a tutorial on how to do that type of hydraulic system

2 Likes

This is an outstanding update! I cannot wait to use it in the future or as of right now!

2 Likes