Grapejuice - Easily run Roblox on Linux

I want to apologize in advance in case I sound rude :pray:

I was just wondering, is grapejuice collecting any kind of data? I am quite new to Linux, and Iā€™m not really comfortable installing stuff yet (I am still in the ā€œbe careful with what you downloadā€ side of windows). Also, I am running PopOS (20.10 I believe), is it supported?

Iā€™m a complete noob on Linux, so sorry if this is a dumb question :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yes Grapejuice supports Pop! OS, any Linux distro that supports Python and isnā€™t ancient works.

2 Likes

No, Grapejuice does not collect any data. If I do add data collection in the future though, it will be explicitly opt-in.

3 Likes

Great! I suspected as much as most ubuntu guides has worked flawlessly on Pop! OS

1 Like

Alright, now that I got my answers, I might give it a spin tomorrow :smile:

1 Like

its vm time :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses: very cool roblox on linux

2 Likes

Is ARM64 support planned? Iā€™d really like to run Studio silently on my raspberry pi :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Gonna have to run studio first and setup your graphics settings before editing a place, as Raspberry Piā€™s canā€™t handle intensive graphics. I know I have an ARM64 processor on my PC running Windows 11, and Roblox Studio works fine.

3 Likes

@Brinker7 I currently have ā€œhackerā€ kick message when (about 3 seconds after, although I assume this is just robloxā€™s Kick() and anti-cheat not reporting back immediately) joining any game:
(Using ā€œOpen with Roblox Playerā€ from browser)

1 Like

Make sure that you are using at least version 6.11 of Wine, that should fix that specific issue.

1 Like

Nope, this occurs when Roblox notices something unexpected happening on your device, itā€™s got nothing to do with the devs of that specific game.

1 Like

I have one question before switching to Linux
Does playing Roblox via Grapejuice is slower performance-wise when compared to playing Roblox in Windows?
I probably should mention that Iā€™m referring to Roblox Player, not Roblox Studio

No. It is way faster, as linux is not full of bloatware and slow built-in apps.

4 Likes

Performance in setups with custom built optimized WINE with DXVK appear to be equal or slightly faster in FPS in comparison to Windows, but this is just anecdotal evidence from a few individuals on the Grapejuice discord. Your results may vary.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve been using roblox on Pop!_OS for a little over a month now, and my framerates are almost consistently matching or better than those on my windows 10 installation on the same laptop-- even with old hardware and integrated graphics. I strongly suggest using DXVK though, as if it were not for that, my answer would be the opposite.

2 Likes

Another option would be using FFlagDebugGraphicsPreferVulkan to bypass DXVK and use Vulkan directly.

[FLog::Graphics] Vulkan Device: AMD RADV NAVI10 (ACO)
[FLog::Graphics] Vulkan Device: Vendor 1002 Device 731f
[FLog::Graphics] Vulkan Device: Driver 21.1.6 (88084486)
[FLog::Graphics] Vulkan Device: API 1.2.168

This might not be the best solution for some users (and FFlags could be nuked with every new version), but when it works, it has the potential to be much better than on Windows without any FFlags.

Unfortunately, I canā€™t compare performance because most PCs canā€™t boot from disk images and GPU passthrough is pain.

1 Like

Before DXVK I used FFlags and forced Vulkan, but in my case DXVK has worked much better so far. Studio is not a very big fan of Vulkan, either.

1 Like

As of last Roblox update, a lot of the Wine staging builds donā€™t work with the game client anymore. If you are experiencing issues with the game client crashing, you should consider switching to a vanilla build of Wine. We are currently narrowing down the issue in the Grapejuice Discord server.

2 Likes

Can you make it so grapejuice ignores the update-desktop-database and xdg-user-dirs programs if they donā€™t exist instead of erroring out? Iā€™ve been having to put different applications at those locations on my path to prevent grapejuice from exiting with an error.

1 Like

Grapejuice requires/assumes your system is fully freedesktop compliant. These two programs are a requirement of a fully functioning modern desktop. Theyā€™ve been added to the Grapejuice dependencies explicitly as well, because people with ā€œminimalā€ configurations usually donā€™t have them installed. If you do not install these two programs, your system is simply not compatible.