Grapejuice - Easily run Roblox on Linux

Can we just take the time to appreciate how awesome it is that this was named Grapejuice? Pretty epic if you ask me.

Really cool program!!

2 Likes

Now I can Install linux on my 9 year old pc, and still be able to make roblox games :D! Thanks so much for making this!

2 Likes

Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be possible, at least not from a 3rd party application standpoint.

Roblox’s client gets compiled with a lot of trigger-happy anti-exploit code to make external modification much more difficult. These systems misinterpret the architectural differences of Linux as malicious activity when in reality it’s just wine handling things differently.

Best we can hope for at this point is that Roblox has a change of heart and decides to start supporting Linux. Their backend game servers already run on Linux, so perhaps they aren’t too far off from having a proper port.

15 Likes

Glad to see that roblox studio has been revived on linux! Will make sure to give grapejuice a go.

That happens to be my comment you’ve found, but unfortunately it requires patching the wine itself. Have you had any luck making it more portable?

I wish Roblox would officially support linux, but this is a good step forward!

8 Likes

This is fantastic. I’m running this in Manjaro and I’m not getting any issues apart from the usual Wine performance issues. Even controllers work which I was not expecting at all :smiley:

There is a setting in Wine Configuration that I suggest should be enabled automatically in order for camera movement with the mouse to be smooth. If you enable the “Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows” setting under the Graphics tab, it makes camera movement with right click a bit smoother.

Has getting Vulkan working been tried yet? I’ve tried installing DXVK into the Wine prefix which worked, but after setting the GraphicsMode to Vulkan, Studio crashes with its generic “We’re sorry!” message on startup.

1 Like

DXVK translates DirectX to native Vulkan. You don’t actually need to switch to Vulkan, you would use Direct3D11 or 10 with DXVK.

It may not actually be that difficult to fix. Back in October, 3dsboy08 (the guy that made Synapse) joined the Grapejuice discord. He got it working within the same day that he joined, though refused to release it or give any sort of specific details on what he did. The screenshot and compiled information is below:

oh its just dll patches?

“sorta
I’m mostly patching the env it’s being run in
not the code itself”

“because I dont want this patched
even though they probably wont”

According to this information, it could either only be a few anti-cheat checks that ROBLOX does not like very well, or he could have just jankily patched the entire system to prevent ROBLOX from kicking you in the first place. Either way, it’s fairly clear at this point that the failures of WINE come solely from the anti-cheat, as you said.

note: grapejuice doesn't endorse cheaters

6 Likes

Yeah I know, I was just curious since running Vulkan would probably be better than going through DXVK performance wise :slight_smile:

(also I had a brain fart and thought DXVK was what provided Vulkan support in Wine, oops).

Works really well! I tried on Ubuntu and no issues whatsoever. Now please Roblox we want official Linux support for client as well. Linux market share is not too small.

1 Like

I’ve added a simple fast flag editor to the Grapejuice interface, I was getting a bit envious of people on twitter experimenting with stuff locked behind flags.

Apart from that, Grapejuice has mainly been receiving small reliability and usability patches over the past couple of months. The quest to get the game client to work is still going on (slowly). It’s extremely tedious to actually find the root cause of why it isn’t working.

I also know that some people might get a bit iffy of giving (inexperienced) users the power of FFlags, for that reason Grapejuice shows a massive warning and link to the post that explains what they are and that they can mess up your data.

6 Likes

Wow I haven’t heard about rob-lox Linux in years.

1 Like

Well I mean, 3ds has been developing exploits on Roblox for years. It probably would have been trivial for him to bypass the anti-cheat checks, he probably knows a lot of them inside-out.

It’s a shame he won’t release it, though…

If I could get the Roblox client working properly on Linux then I’d probably make the move. Although I might just stick to the Linux sub-system for Windows (command line) because I have VR and stuff that only works on Windows :frowning:

3 Likes

Is it possible to get Grapejuice working on Chrome OS’s Crostini (Ubuntu VM)? It’d be awesome to run Roblox Studio on a Chromebook.

1 Like

VR works for some part on Linux. Check ProtonDB.

And yeah, from what I understand, I believe he just literally patched out the kick itself. As in; you couldn’t get kicked for that reason. That isn’t ideal, for obvious reasons.

2 Likes

I have no idea. I’ve seen some people trying to do it, but I haven’t seen any success so far.

I’ve got signed out of Studio randomly and I cannot seem to sign back in now? I try signing in again via editing a place from the website in Firefox and while Studio opens and it tries to sign in, it then says “Login error. Please try again.” and shows me its sign in form.

If I try to sign in via Studio, it opens a page in Firefox then opens Studio again which then proceeds to fail with the same error so shrug.

Any ideas on what could be causing that?

2 Likes

I think this has happened before to someone and it somehow fixed it on its own, you can always try removing $HOME/.local/share/grapejuice/wineprefix to start over.

There is however, a regression in wine-5.0-rc2 that borks the login completely, you’ll have to downgrade to wine-5.0-rc1 or earlier to get around that.

2 Likes

Yeah I have that version installed. That sucks :frowning:
Is there an issue open for Wine regarding that anywhere?

Edit: Bingo, downgrading worked!

If anyone wants to know how to downgrade the wine package at least on Arch or Manjaro, in your terminal run sudo pacman -S downgrade to install the downgrade tool if you haven’t got it already, then run sudo DOWNGRADE_FROM_ALA=1 downgrade wine (you need DOWNGRADE_FROM_ALA=1 in there if using Manjaro, otherwise only local packages will be searched, which may not have wine-5.0-rc1-1). In the list of packages, select wine-5.0rc1-1.

Of course this replaces whatever version of Wine you have installed already. This will also require your wine prefixes to configure themselves again the next time you open something in one.

2 Likes

I seem to have an issue where on launch studio crashes. I’m not sure if anyone else has experience the issue before. I dont really know much about Wine and Linux but I’m just dabbling in. Here is a gif that shows what happens

I’m using the lattest Manjaro Xfce build on a virtual machine. I have 128mb of video ram. The VM has 16gb of ram available and access to 6 cores. The host computer has two RX 580s 8gb.

I’ve tried reinstalling grapejuice, restarting the VM, and deplying associations. Any help or ideas is VERY appreciated.

2 Likes