Graphic Design Help and Opinions

Intro

Hey, Devs. In this post, I’d like to get advice and feedback on how to improve my graphic design skills. Here’s some context. I’ve been making gfx for about 2 years now, but I’d like to branch out into logos, icons, typographics, and other such things.

Tools & Softwares
I am currently using various Adobe applications and would like to know where to begin. I usually create logos in Photoshop, but I’m attempting to transition into Illustrator.

Typographics
From the little knowledge, I have from a graphic course I took I can change blending options on text. I’d like to learn how to make the text vector 3D and how to add an inner layer to make it appear to be popping out: Chisel Hard Bevel. Possibly adding different images to complement the design and add effects in the future, as my knowledge expands. As you can probably tell, I don’t know the correct terms for everything, so I believe my lack of knowledge is also preventing me from looking for ways to help myself. What should I do first, and how can I learn? Do you have any recommendations?

Typographic Example

Backgrounds
I’ve been experimenting with various brushes and overlays, but I’m still having trouble creating a suitable background for my icons. Lighting is an important aspect that I’ve been attempting to improve. Nonetheless, I find several to be too dull or too bright. Perhaps it’s because I don’t know how to use Photoshop or don’t know what effects to use? My outer glow and strokes also need work since I’m messing around and have no idea what I’m doing. I looked for tutorials, but there aren’t many that are specifically what I’m looking for, and I’m not sure what else I can do to improve other than practice something I know very little about.

Gfx Example

GFX ICON

Watermarks
I’ve seen some creative watermark designs, and I believe, correct me if I’m wrong, that people design in illustrator with the pen tool and then add different effects to it? My design problem is that I haven’t fully explored the different tools, for example, the pen tool. I don’t even know how to auto-adjust my lines. There are many things I’m still trying to learn, but that’s a huge asset I’m currently focusing on.

Conclusion
This post was all over the place but my entire interest is to learn. I covered as much as I can think of so far. I hope you can all give me advice, and I will try to share my journey.

3 Likes