Graphical Weirdness with Union+Transparency Material

I’ve wanted to start on a crystal mining game and was starting on models but then noticed that the material has some graphical glitching where a quarter of the texture would just POP through the wall of the crystal.

This is even visible within’ the a real server.
4e6937b6a02d5434633a5cf0805fcf1e1ca01e7c

It seems that most materials have the same type of glitch.
Not sure if it’s solvable or not but worth sending a message.

Here’s the model if you want to experiment. Thank you!

crystal.rbxm (11.2 KB)

I’ve experimented with the model such as undoing the union and moving the corner wedge parts back into place.

As much as I would love to consider creating a mesh a valid alternative I have next to no experience in that field.

Hi,
CSG3 (which is what you are using here) is in some sense a bit “too precise”. So for example, the lower left corner wedge that you are using is joined to the block with a slight gap between them. This is probably due to precision of the UI dragging tool - meaning the block and wedge parts are not quite flush when they are touching, and there is a microscopic gap between them. This gap then remains after the CSG3 union of the parts.

Our team is actively tracking such use cases, and we are working on a solution. For now, you can try turning off Collisions in Studio, and moving the wedges slightly into/inside the block. This should seal the gap after the union operation is performed.

1 Like

I’ve avoided using the “Move” tool to ensure that the parts themselves snapped on.
I would use the “Select” tool and then slap them snug onto the part directly.

Thank you for the suggestion!
Considering the vid showed it working I don’t doubt it’ll work for me too.

Do you want me to mark your reply as a solution or wait until a fix is out?

The fix might take a while :disappointed: We are still gathering the use cases and have to come up with a solution that will make everybody (or at least most) users happy.
Up to you how you would like to mark it!

Alright, I’ll just mark what you said as a solution since it does solve that issue for me for the most part.
Thank you!

In the meantime, try to learn / use blender because roblox unions aren’t that reliable right now (I also had inconsistent unions)

As much as I would love to consider creating a mesh a valid alternative I have next to no experience in that field.

I’m keeping the option in mind but as a last resort.
If what the staff suggested me as a fix isn’t too obvious once shrunk then I think I’ll be able to live without blender.