Graphics Quality likes to keep resetting to Automatic?

This is a bug that I’ve noticed for a few years now. I usually keep my graphics quality in-game at level 10 because my computer is perfectly capable of handling Roblox’s max settings, but periodically, Roblox will reset its value to Automatic.

I haven’t nailed down what specifically is causing this, but I suspect it might have something to do with Roblox Studio resetting them somehow.

Has anyone else seen this, and if so, have you noticed any pattern to it being triggered?

18 Likes

It was just fine for me until few days ago.
Ever since then, it’s been resetting to automatic.

Maybe new update triggered it?

2 Likes

Mine was randomly reset to automatic today.

2 Likes

I was actually just considering reporting this, I’ve only encountered this while/after I’ve recently had a studio session open, not nearly consistent enough for a 100% repro though, so it could be something else that I do in between games.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed it resetting after an update or when my game crashes.

3 Likes

I can reproduce this by closing the Roblox process with either task manager or cmd ( taskkill /F /IM RobloxPlayerBeta.exe ).
This also happens to me when Roblox crashes (E.g: Roblox Studio crashing sometimes when opening up a place resets my in-game settings, or when the Roblox player crashes sometimes unexpectedly.)
Guessing this happens because Roblox doesn’t have time to save the set configuration so it resets.

3 Likes

So the general rules around quality settings are:

• They only get written when leaving an experience (so killing Roblox through task manager or crashing will not remember the quality.)
  • There is a limited list of experience we remember the quality for. This number is configured to 256, so if you quickly reload place counts, then it will forget the older ones.

I am not sure though if the portal code (using a portal to another experience) saves it, it would be good to know if you see the issue with that.

There have been no code changes to the settings saving code since last October. So if it was just once where a new update invalidated something and maybe that reset it, is inconvenient, but will not likely be fixed. If it is an issue that keeps recurring since the last update, then we need to look deeper. So please let me know.

1 Like

@Maximum_ADHD Does the above description address your problem?

I believe so! This issue seemed to be quietly resolved when GlobalBasicSettings.xml was forked to be separate in Roblox Studio a few years ago. I appreciate the follow up :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.