Grass is getting greener on this side! [GrassLength Studio Beta]

I’m wondering, here’s this huge list of people, have been doing the grass length change for 2-3 years (if not more) I certainly like this update, but the delay is very long Hopefully the next grass and terrain update will be soon and won’t require waiting a few years.

2 Likes

As if they gonna do that :joy: They never really listen to the community, only reason they let your reply to these posts is for people to feel like they’re doing something.

1 Like

Nice update! This is an W Update.

This is a feature I have been wanting for so long and I couldn’t be more happy! My only question is if we will ever see more types of decorations or have the ability to add a custom texture to the grass?

2 Likes

It would be nice to change the shape/type of grass, but I don’t think it would be performant to actually apply textures to said grass. Games that have textured grass tend to use billboard grass, rather than the kind of grass we see here. If you look at modern games, they apply shaders in a way to make grass look less plain.

Here are a few videos explaining that better:

3 Likes

Hi @Daw588!

Re: more flexibility & customization,
(+ @MightyDantheman, @Ron1n_Sim, @deathcharge415, @Disgustedorito, @focasds, @WoahItsJeebus, @BabulCNC, @HaClix, @LootReward, @Evercreeper, @ona2000, @Dunelight, @9vvo)

Thanks for your feedback! We’re aware of these pain points and are committed to giving creators more flexibility.

To give a bit of context, offering a flexible decoration/terrain customization system (that can also have various settings per areas of the world) depends on overhauling and rebuilding some foundations of the Terrain system while trying to keep things stable on the surface for you all.

We’re currently working really hard to get our systems to a state where flexible customization will be possible and be able to address most of these pain points (and improve Terrain performance too!). These are very intricate efforts and it will take more time, but we really care about being able to give you that creative flexibility. Meanwhile, we wanted to get this out because we believe many creators will still benefit from having GrassLength even though it is limited to the whole world today.

16 Likes

Yeah when it becomes scriptable then we can create like lawnmowers or something that’ll be able to mow lawns!

Maybe flowers and stuff… who knows, only y’all do, actually I’m not sure if there are already flowers.

2 Likes

Hey @ona2000!

Re: Support Multiple MaterialVariant
(+ @Daw588, @MightyDantheman)

Totally! We know this is very critical for creators to be able to achieve their creative vision and that the current state is painful for many. I don’t have anything to announce about this today, but it is on our radar.

Re: Value range

Grass can be disabled entirely by disabling the “Decoration” property. When “Decoration” is enabled, we assume there should be some grass, which is why conceptually the min value is above 0. Let me know if this addresses your use case or if it remains an issue.

3 Likes

Is it just me? Now when I select any object in Explorer, my properties tab will always show the Terrain’s properties.

3 Likes

Smart move roblox… You are letting developers touch grass… IN THE METAVERSE!

1 Like

this is amazing! roblox is beginning to look so much better!

What if, for example, we have a house (and we still want the grass) Do we need to disable decorations just to prevent grass from clipping through the floor? Or do we need to paint the area under the house and let the different terrain leak out because the paint tool doesn’t work for small areas? Overall, both options are not ideal, and in the future, if you all ever allow different parts of the map to have different lengths, it would be nice to have that option.

Will we be able to enable and disable decorations during runtime? Would be super useful.

Right now, it would mean to use a different material that could leak outside the house’s bounds, indeed. When it will be possible to have different GrassLength per different areas of the map, it will also be possible to disable decorations in different areas of the map. This depends on the new foundations of the Terrain system that will take more time though, as discussed here.

2 Likes

We are not able to reproduce this on our end. Is this issue persisting after rebooting Studio?

Re: Scriptability
(+ @focasds, @WoahItsJeebus, @Doomcolp)

At the moment we are not planning to make GrassLength scriptable but I’m noting your feedback and the one of others who asked about it earlier in the thread. I captured the use cases of lawn-mowing and dynamically changing the world’s GrassLength as players are entering a region as a workaround to being able to truly have different GrassLength per different areas of the world. If people have additional use cases for having GrassLength as a scriptable property, we’d love to hear about them please.

3 Likes

I have a couple of ideas:

• Maybe if there’s like one of those horror games w tall grass like maybe a power-up could be to make the grass super short
  • There could also be like a setting in a game like “Enable Shortened Grass”
  • It could be helpful for games that have gardens like you use a gardening hose and the grass starts to grow

I’ll try to come up with more ideas soon but that’s all my brain is gonna do for now

2 Likes

I think that grass should be a separate entity, and moved to a foliage system. For example, grass can be a material, but there also can be a grass foliage. Those are two different things, but one represents a material, and other represents foliage.

9 Likes

I like how this looks, but don’t generally use smooth terrain, are there any plans for the ability to have this stuff on regular parts in the works?

1 Like

I’m not sure if they ever responded about that part specifically, but I definitely would like to see things like grass and water being appliable to parts, along with having their own unique properties for that given part.

I think that would be huge, especially for applying a water material to parts. Mainly for things like rivers, but there are other applications where more exact size and positioning is needed, and terrain doesn’t quite work for that due to its voxel limitation.