Grid Football (Soccer) - A turn-based strategy game

Hey everyone!

Recently, I’ve been working on a prototype of a turn-based strategy soccer game. The combination might seem odd but hear me out.

Currently, most (if not all) the soccer games on Roblox are all physics-based. Sometimes, lag can make these experiences wack and not fun to play.

Funny clip

While working on the prototype, I watched this video of a Roblox soccer match and I wanted to share a funny clip when a ball looked like it was already in the goal but was somehow saved by the keeper. (great commentary tho)

It might only show a small hiccup in the physics, but when you have poor internet, it just gets worse from there.

I’ve also been really into the strategic part of soccer, with the tactics and stuff, but every game I see right now (in Roblox) is arcade-like, with goals, wall-flicks, and dribbling/skill moves being the main part of gameplay.

So, here is Grid Football, a simultaneous turn-based strategy game!

Instead of having your character move the ball around, you control the cylinder players on the field, which is set up like a board game. (based on the 2d tactical analysis videos)

Unlike other turn-based games, where you wait for the other player to make their move, you and the other player will make moves at the same time, which will be adjusted (to follow a specific set of rules) and animated at the end of the turn.

What you end up with is a slower game focused on the positioning of each player to create attacking chances and anticipating the other player’s next move.

I would show gameplay, but I’ve been working on this without a second player to play with. I do have an unlisted playlist showing the progress I made, but it is far from what I have right now.

That is why I’m looking for testers to play the game for feedback and bugs. I’m not looking to make a full game out of this, but I do want this prototype to be in a playable state, so if you are interested join the discord server. I’m planning to make the game public this weekend, so stay tuned!

I will also leave the game link, and the 8-page google doc of the rules for the game. (don’t worry, hopefully most of the rules should be discovered just by playing)

Thank you for reading!

TL;DR I made a game because roblox physics go brr

4 Likes

I like strategy games, that’s why I always play chess, time to play it brrrr

1 Like

This is actually a very good game idea!

1 Like