Group asset permissions are misleading

Reproduction Steps

Give a group role the “Create group items” or “Configure group items” permissions but not the “Create and edit group experiences” permission.

Expected Behavior

The expectation is that the user would then be able to create and configure group items, including all types of assets.

Actual Behavior

In reality, the permissions only affect clothing and the user can not create or configure other asset types.

Workaround

The workaround is to either give the user the blanket “Create and edit group experiences” permission, or give their role access to team create in any experience owned by that group and they will then be able to upload assets through that experience. However, they will not be able to modify the assets or see them in the toolbox or on the website afterwards.

I have group roles that need to be able to access some experiences but not others, so the blanket permission is not an option for me, and not being able to modify assets after the initial upload is very inconvenient, so these workarounds are not at all ideal.

Interestingly enough, if you navigate to the group audit log and open the action type filter next to the “Search users” box, there are already action types for “Create Group Asset”, “Update Group Asset”, “Configure Group Asset”, and “Revert Group Asset” - entirely separate from the “Save Place” and “Publish Place” or the “Create Items” and “Configure Items” actions. Intuitively, this would suggest that there should also be “Create group assets” and “Configure group assets” permissions, separate from creating/configuring clothing items and experiences.

Or, at the very least, the two existing permissions for items should be expanded beyond just clothing to all assets. Thanks!

Issue Area: Roblox Website
Page URL: Create - Roblox
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-07-18 00:07:00 (-04:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2022-08-01 00:08:00 (-04:00)’

Note: I put this as a bug report because I’m not sure if this behaviour is intentional. If it is intentional, please let me know and I would be happy to move this to feature requests.

10 Likes

I confirm that this is reproduceable, but I also figure that “Group Items” literally refers to “Items” and not “Assets” since those two are quite different in the context.

Items can be sold and monetized, they’re products.
Assets can be used and implemented, they’re not products.

That’s just me going out on a limb.
We should definitely have a “Create Group Assets” permission though, for comissioned works.

4 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

3 Likes

It appears that the “Create Group Asset” and “Update Group Asset” permissions have now been renamed to “Create avatar items” and “Configure avatar items”.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.