Group Management Module: Chapter 1 - English

Hi, I’m Kael, but you can call me Levi! This post is part of my group management tutorial. This tutorial has four modules: spelling and grammar, financial safety/trading, basic management and keeping the group “alive”. Today, my post will focus on group management, and more specifically, proper grammar and spelling.

Without further a-due, let’s begin the tutorial!

Let’s begin with a thought experiment. Say for example you work at the “ROBLOX Luxury Example Hotel.” You have been hired to be a receptionist.

If a hotel guest arrived, would you say:

a) hi welcome to hotel how, r u today, or…
b) Hi, my name is [xxxxx] and welcome to the hotel! How can I help you today?

Obviously, Option B is better. Why?

Before I get ahead of myself, let me just say: most of what will be discussed is common knowledge; however, if you are new, this tutorial is for you.

So why is Option B better? Let’s dissect Option B to try and find out.

Hi, my name is [xxxxx] and welcome to the hotel! How can I help you today?

• This sentence is welcoming: it begins with a passive and friendly “Hi”. Moreover, it then goes into detail about who you are and where the hotel guest is. This builds a relationship with you and the hotel guest.
  • The spelling is perfect. Unlike the first sentence that uses slang and replaces letters for actual words, this sentence presents words beautifully and shows effort.
  • An exclamation mark is used once. The exclamation marks conveys the sentence to the guest as even more inviting! The exclamation mark is not over-used either, so instead of: “Hi! I’m [xxx]! Welcome to the hotel!”, which is very tedious, they only use 1 exclamation mark.
  • The sentence invites the guest to include their own input. The second phrase in the sentence creates a sense that the guest is included. You have asked them a question.
  • Structurally speaking, this is a “wonderful” sentence.
  • A little less uncommon however, it is mostly formal. Due to this, it can warm the guest and symbolises effort.

Now that we have analysed a sentence, we know the basics. So say for example a guest came to your hotel reception. What might you not say?

• “Hii, hai or heyyyyyyyyy”, or any similarity. These starters undermine your sentence and create an informal sentence.

• “Welcome to the hotel I am [xxxxxx] how can I help you today?” These are sentence fragments. Instead, split it into two or three sentences.

• “WELCOME TO THE HOTEL!” Never use caps as it disrupts the sentence. Also, please don’t overuse the exclamation mark. Say “Welcome to the hotel.” instead of “Welcome to the hotel!!!”

• The overuse of similes, metaphors, personification etc. If you are going to describe a hotel, you can freely compare it (a simile). But don’t overuse these language devices. It gets dull hearing “Our hotel is so big it’s an ocean!” and “Our hotel is like a mansion!” Plus, be careful using them as the message is normally unclear.

When you write, you are more formal than when you speak. I know, this is very obvious, but it is also very important. In case you haven’t figured this out yet: this tutorial isn’t based on grammar and spelling. Instead, it is focused on your voice, your fluency and your projection and so on.

One way to think of it is this: the 6+1 traits of writing, or in this case, typing.

6%201%20Traits%20of%20Writing

To project yourself effectively, you should aim to use these traits effectively.

• Ideas - what are you trying to say?
  • Organisation - how have you structured your sentence?
  • Voice - are you happy, or sad? Are you welcoming, or angry?
  • Word choice - have you included an enriched vocabulary, but still used common language?
  • Sentence fluency - if you were to say the sentence, would it make sense?
  • Conventions - have you used proper spelling, grammar, punctuation etc?
  • Presentation - how have you formatted your sentence, as in, how have you fit words together?

If you are able to fulfil this criteria, then you have got yourself a perfect sentence! Let’s try to develop one. Let’s go back to the example of you as a receptionist. Our main idea is to provide a positive vibe, so we will need a welcoming voice. We will need to introduce ourselves, then ask for their input. We will need to use proper English, with an extensive vocabulary and proper use of punctuation, grammar and spelling. Finally, we need to present the sentence well.

From above, we have set out our own criteria. Here is an example of a sentence that meets this:

“Hello, I’m [xxxx]. Welcome to the hotel! How can I help you today?”

Finally, we have found the perfect sentence. Remember, always plan your sentences in advance.

To summarise, a perfect sentence isn’t all about spelling, grammar and punctuation. You need voice, presentation, ideas, organisation and more. I hope this tutorial provides useful. Please tell me if this helped you. Feel free to use this for yourself.

Did you enjoy this tutorial, and was it informative?

• Yes, it was informative and enjoyable.
  • At times it was informative and enjoyable, but there were a few issues.
  • No, this tutorial was not enjoyable nor informative.

0 voters

Please like this and comment improvements. All inputs are appreciated. :slight_smile:

If you would like to check out the post that goes into detail about these tutorials, please click on the following link: Group Management - Module: The Basics, and the "not so basics"

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 1 minute. New replies are no longer allowed.