Group Ownership Succession Change

If an account truly is banned forever though, it’s a shame for a group to become completely unusable. Perhaps group owners could set a “legacy contact” for group ownership, so if anything happens to the owner, that individual can take ownership after some time? (Similar to how facebook does it except for when you die irl)

6 Likes

How to make groups inactive 101

1 Like

At least make it so that if a group owner is banned, for the mean while, the rank of 254 has all of the permissions. This would allow the owner to appoint a new owner to run while he was banned.

7 Likes

It’s called trusting the people you work with and having agreements that reflect that.

3 Likes

In the future, will groups that have no owner be automatically set to free to join?

It’s so incredibly silly that hundreds of thousands of groups are locked with no way for anyone to reclaim them, even through CS. It’s something I hope is addressed

4 Likes

If there is rank succession I would just let rank 254 be an alt. I see no excuse to let another person control my work, income and future just because of a moderation error if incurred in the future.

3 Likes

It doesn’t even really make sense for a developer to be moderated by an automated system at all. Even then, losing your account shouldn’t mean losing your work.

If someone gets their account banned for something non-developing related, this shouldn’t effect their development or projects they worked hard and may be relying on for income, for those choosing to Roblox-dev full time.

There needs to be a line between a developer and a player.

6 Likes

I know this has already been implemented

I’m not sure that I agree, if someone is away on holiday, or can’t access their computer for some reason for even part of that month (let’s say a couple of weeks) then the lengthy review process could mean losing the potential of thousands of dollars or even hundreds of thousands. I think the group should never be released unless the owner decides to, or at least a much longer period, for example 6 months. It doesn’t seem like there should be any rush in releasing it so why make it only 30 days?

In real life there’s pretty much no way that you’d have all of your livelihood removed from you for being arrested and then released (unless they faced a massive charge or something).

The time limit does mean we’re making it less of a problem, but I’m sure there’ll be edge cases of innocent people who lose their games, funds and groups as a result, and a leaked game is not something that can be fixed.

Perhaps if the 30 day limit only applies if no review of the ban has been requested?

2 Likes

There’s a lot of things wrong with banning IPs in general:

• IPs are not specific to one person or machine, multiple people in the same household will have the same IP address, and in the case of using shared internet, like a restaurant or hotel, it’s not profitable for roblox to ban these because of how popular of a platform it is.
  • Also, IPs change all the time, most people do not have static IP addresses, which means not only do you ban someone who hasn’t done anything wrong, but you also let the original person off as soon as their IP address changes (which I’m pretty sure you can do yourself in some hacky ways).
  • Another issue with your idea is that often people will have given friends, family and other innocent people access to their account at some point to help them with something or transfer an item etc. These people shouldn’t be banned for their mistakes. plus tracking and storing ALL IP addresses is not going to be sensible
7 Likes

Didn’t even consider the siblings aspect. Sorry, Merely twins.

3 Likes

There’s also HWID bans which are machine specific, we could ban them instead of IP’s.

2 Likes

I think these are reasonably easy to bypass too, at least that’s what I’ve heard. Also this is just device specific so simply using a different machine would work to bypass it.

Getting a new device is much harder than getting a new IP. Also, there are multiple ways a program can check your HWID which increases the difficulty of spoofing it as you don’t know how exactly it’s checking it.

4 Likes

Definitely a step in the right direction :grin:

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off-topic and bump posts

Do not necrobump announcement threads