Group payout to 20+ people results in 500 Internal Server Error

Reproduction Steps
Device Info

• User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/97.0.4692.71 Safari/537.36
  • Platform Type: PC
  • Device Type: ComputerDevice Info
    User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/97.0.4692.71 Safari/537.36
    Platform Type: PC
    Device Type: Computer

How To Reproduce

• get a group where you have permission to spend group funds. It must also have 21+ members.

• Start by adding 21 members to the one time payout list. Our intention is to payout all these users at once. Not one at a time. Give each person 1 robux. Should look something like this:

• Click the “Distribute” button.

Expected Behavior
Everyone should be payed out successfully.

Actual Behavior
We are shown an error message that reads “Unable to distribute funds. Please refresh and verify your funds before trying again.”

See image below:

Workaround
I found that the above error message does not appear when paying out a group of 20 or less individuals. However, after receiving this error message, you might try this work around (like I did). Remove users from the payout list until you have 20 or less. Now try the distribute button. You continue to receive this error message. But unlike before, Roblox misleadingly distributes the last payout request. This caused me to double pay 16 of 27 individuals. Because after the 2nd error message appeared. I left the webpage, returned, and payed out each person individually. Later I got reports that some had received double the payment. I checked the logs and there it was. After some testing I found that this error appears when paying out 21 or more individuals. Worse is when you lower the individuals, get the same error, and the last request is sent out misleadingly.

Issue Area: Roblox Website
Page URL: A group payout page. You must have permission to spend group funds.
Impact: Low
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2022-01-27 04:01:00 (-05:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2022-01-27 00:01:00 (-05:00)

8 Likes

The restriction is currently a system limitation, so you’ll need to keep using the workaround with 20 members per submission.

Let us know if this is a major inconvenience. Thanks for your report!

Apologizes, I don’t think I made my 2 concerns very clear. I have no issue with a limit of 20 members per submission.

1. When attempting to pay out 21+ individuals, you get an error message that lacks an explanation. It took me some good time until I realized this was a limit. If only the error message stated “Unable to distribute funds. Exceeding the max limit of 20 members per submission.” It would have saved me from this confusion.

2. In a unique case, you can be mislead to double pay members. I strongly recommend you give this a try. Follow these steps:

• get a group where you have permission to spend group funds. It must also have 21+ members.
    • Start by adding 21 members to the one time payout list. Our intention is to payout all these users at once. Not one at a time. Give each person 1 robux. Should look something like this:
    • Click “Distribute”. (This time theres more! Keep reading.)
    • Remove 2 members from the payout list.
    • Click “Distribute.” (Same error message should appear! Are we being mislead?)
    • Lastly, navigate back to the group admin page to view your group funds.
      You should have noticed we hit “Distribute” 2 times. But got an error message both times. We can assume no robux have been spent from our funds. (But wait! Our group funds have decreased!) The second error message was a lie and did in fact distribute funds.
8 Likes

Users should never see a HTTP 500 error for a programmed exception – this endpoint should throw a HTTP 400 in this case.

3 Likes

Is this really an issue? I don’t see a use case for increasing the current limit of 20 users. Why would you need to payout over 20 users at a time? The only time I see this sort of activity is those scam groups that pay users for playing the game etc…

If you really need to do this perhaps look into the new Group API endpoints: Open Cloud API Keys Now Support Groups!

1 Like

Open Cloud doesn’t support group API yet. This announcement is for announcing that you can now make API keys for group resources. Those API keys cannot yet be used for any new endpoints (it’s still just place publish).

2 Likes