This will be quite a short post, but here we go.
There’s a bug in the group revenue summary section of the group admin page.
I cannot access the revenue summary as it errors, but I can see the line purchases tab.
However, when I own the group, it works. (I tested this by trying to see the revenue summary in a group I have access to the revenue, and in a group I own. While it didn’t work for the one I didn’t own, it did for the one I own)
Happens all the time.
I’m using Google Chrome, and don’t have extensions.
- User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/75.0.3770.100 Safari/537.36
- Platform Type: PC
- Device Type: Computer