Group roles won't update when name is changed. Using fonts

Hi everyone, assuming this is the right place to post since it’s a bug on the Roblox platform itself, please just tell me if it’s wrong so I can move it appropriately. :grin:

I’m trying to change the group roles for my friend, as she is getting the same error. When we try to update the group role names, it gives the error “Unable to update role.” and doesn’t update. Please keep in mind we’re using Instagram fonts, which I will link the site to here. We’ve had this issue for a while now, and since we’re running out of options I decided to post here in case it’s a site-wide bug.

My group is aesthetic feeliingss - Roblox

I’m not sure if it’s replicable, but you simply just need to attempt changing a group role name with an Instagram font, any will do I think, as we have tried with multiple and none have come out successful.

Update: We found a few fonts that do work on groups, so I think it might be a matter of which font you use.

Hoping this is either something fixable or can be fixed soon. Thanks for reading. <3

1 Like

Pretty sure this isn’t a bug.

You can’t put all kinds of weird symbols and unicode in the group name, for a number of reasons including legibility, technical limitations and practical limitations on different devices and fonts. I’m pretty sure you’re limited on some of the more standard symbols too iirc.

Your “Instagram font” is actually not a font, it’s just symbols beyond the standard set.

4 Likes

Yes, but we’re not using the symbols, just the words to make them look fancier, some work and some don’t, yet they’re all still Unicode.

I could approve if Roblox didn’t want them used at all, since people can bypass the chat filter using them occasionally, but we got a new font, almost identical and it worked. Same website. If this wasn’t a bug, then all of them would either work or fail, since they’re all symbols / Unicode.

Like I said, the words are symbols. It is not normal text. All of the “Instagram font” are symbols beyond the standard range. This is clearly explained on the site you linked to and is the reason it’s not an acceptable group name.

Screenshot of the website you linked to

The text filter to protect users will not filter these symbols properly as they are not standard characters, allowing you to bypass the text filter with offensive language or personal information that would otherwise be filtered.

Therefore, as mentioned in my last reply, I don’t think this is a bug, it’s intentional.

2 Likes

I know they’re not standard symbols, but it doesn’t exactly explain why some certain fonts do and don’t work unless Roblox is trying to either filter them into or out of groups. :confused:

That’s where I’m assuming there’s a bug. Some fonts do still work, and some don’t and just throw an error.

I don’t think this is a bug. You have to play around with fancy fonts until they work. Here is my group, we use fancy fonts, and it works, but you have to try multiple different fonts first.

Due to lack of traffic on this thread and how long its been since anyone has posted, we will consider this issue resolved. If this issue is still occurring, please file a new bug report so we can take a look.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.