GUI Frame Styles should have a bit more visual control

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to create aesthetically pleasing and unique User Interfaces with the default frames styles.
(DropShadow, RobloxRound, RobloxSquare, etc.)

Now we can resort to image labels of course, but we were given these styles to make simple UI development faster and more “built-in” to the platform. This is why I believe we should have a bit more control over how they look in regards to color and transparency. All “roblox round” frames have the annoyingly black and opaque look to them. Which makes them pretty pointless in my opinion and hard to use.

I feel like if the frame styles were to be redone to support more visual control it’d help developers tremendously and make development much easier.

17 Likes

Best/Easiest solution is to just use images (Like you mentioned), but that can be time consuming, so this would really help, styles such as Round Square. Actually I don’t even see why this isn’t a thing :confused:

Support

4 Likes

I did always find it really quite constrictive that we aren’t able to change the colors of things like the round square, etc. Support!

2 Likes

As a UI developer, I’ve always liked having curved edges on frames now and then. However, It is quite a pain when having to upload multiple images to change the px on the rounded edges and then have to fiddle with 9-slice. Having such an update where this is already integrated would be a godsend. Definitely support! :smile:

4 Likes

Rather than a set of enums frame styles should be a class (Ex. FrameStyle.new(props)) that would provide the most customization. Although this can kind of make current properties like border thickness pointless. On top of this, backward compatibility concerns are a thing.

1 Like

Support, making custom images is time consuming :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I say just completely remove them tbh.
(Or keep them hidden to not break older games that use them)

They could become individual properties.
Photoshop lets you edit values for how ‘rounded’ each individual corner is, that would be nice.

Actually I like that idea too, maybe they could make them be SVGs or something… but then again, roblox should add support for SVGs XD

You make a very fair point