Guidelines around users paying for random virtual items

It appears rarity, that is, unless each item in a specific rarity has different odds. Most games just tend to have a random pull of chance through a rarity, and then once the “spin” selects a rarity, it will go into that rarity’s table and pull an item. (Meaning that you have x% chance to y rarity.)

But if some of your “Legendary” Rarity items are .5% chance & other “Legendary” Rarity items are .1% chance, I’m assuming you’d have to disclose that.

It’s best to be accurate by giving the player as much information as necessary. I’d say disclose the doubled chances and also indicate they’ve already been doubled so the player won’t have to account for it themselves.

1 Like

My comment, however, is not about what is “best practices” but about what Roblox’s TOS is going to say about that particular edge case.

2 Likes

This is a welcome change. While I personally don’t think lootboxes are necessarily gambling, I do find it surprising Roblox didn’t just ban them altogether. I’m glad you are letting us devs decide how we monetize our games.

12 Likes

How about mechanics where you’re not getting a virtual item but perks in game? Let’s say each player has one and unique Ability, abilities could be weaker and stronger than others, thus some might be more common while others being rarer. Said ability can be changed through microtransactions, so how should the developer act according to those norms? This question isn’t just for abilities but anything that doesn’t involve receiving a virtual item.

1 Like

I think that it’d also have to follow this particular guideline. I kind of find it as virtual goods since it’s enhancing the gameplay one way or another.

2 Likes

This is a wonderful update, not only as it improves the safety of our players, but because Roblox gave us an appropriate, well-timed heads up before these regulations come into effect.

9 Likes

Was already planning on implementing the odds into my new UI, really glad to see this being enforced. Helps users understand what they are getting into and the odds of getting the items/item they want.

Would help if the OP was a bit more clear of exactly where it should be mentioned, as there could be an information menu containing the cases with the items they give and the % and then the case menu, where you just buy the case with 0 information. (No clue why anyone would have this, but worth noting.)

1 Like

I don’t think this applies, but better safe than sorry, I have a gun store that has a randomized stock every day, do I need to show the probabilities?

1 Like

Can you explain your case a bit more?

1 Like

I think it still should be disclosed.
You’re offering a random virtual good in exchange for Robux, whether it be an egg, an ability, a race, etc, there is still a random chance of obtaining it.
In Rogue Lineage’s case, I’d imagine they would have to provide the user with the percent chance of obtaining each race; for example:

• Castellan: 10%
  • Dzin: 10%
  • Hasteldan: 10%
  • Kasperan: 10%
  • Scroom: 10%
  • Rigan: 5%
  • Vind: 1%
    etc…
6 Likes

In game currency can’t be purchased with Robux for the first part so no Robux are ever involved.
There is a gun store in game, there are about sixty guns in game, but only three appear in the store at once. Every forty-eight minutes, three guns are randomly selected from a weighted list of all the weapons.

2 Likes

What if you had a crate, say “Random Crate” and it explains to you that everything you get is completely random and not based on percentages at all. Would that still be allowed, or not because you need to have accurate percentages?

1 Like

I think where Rogue differs is that the product is presented as a stat wipe, and not as a way to roll a new race. It’s definitely a grey area, but we’re probably best disclosing the probabilities in the long term.

4 Likes

If they already know the exact item they’re going to get when they press the buy button, then you’re fine.
There’s only an issue when they don’t know what they’re going to get until after they press the buy button.

4 Likes

Alright, thank you. Just wanted to double check.

1 Like

This does not apply for two reasons

1. You can’t buy currency with Robux, which is one of the exceptions in the OP
  2. The player chooses a gun in the shop and knows what they are receiving from the purchase. If you sold a dev product that refreshed the shop with new items, and different guns had different chances of appearing, you would have to display the odds because the player doesn’t know what will become available.
1 Like

What about games were you can’t purchase lootboxes directly but you can earn keys through playing or paying robux which allow you to open lootboxes?

There you arent directly buying boxes

4 Likes

You’re still technically buying lootboxes, it’s just indirect. You should disclose probabilities for any lootboxes attained through purchase.

2 Likes

I would think that wouldn’t be allowed because depending on the amount of items you have, there’s still a chance you will get a specific one. Like if I have 100 unique items, and I give the user one random one, that’s a 1/100 or 1% chance they will get what they want.

2 Likes