Guidelines around users paying for random virtual items

What if the odds of getting an item are completely equal for every item? In my game it just spits out a random color and there is no rarity system. Am I still required to say “Equal chances”?

3 Likes

If I have a currency in-game that is in no way purchasable for robux (can’t buy it with robux, you can only earn it, and no conversion from other currencies) do we still need to show odds?

1 Like

Based on this, i don’t think so. This is to help clear up what people pay for. I would think its safe to assume any currency that has no robux interaction at all is fine to not display chances.

2 Likes

Yet, wouldn’t this mean developers could change the odds to some that are not the real odds, thus making people buy the item because they think they will get something? Would there be a moderation system specified for these kind of problems? How would this work?

ex: Egg (10% Normal, %90 Legendary) yet the real one is Egg (100% Normal)

1 Like

Is this statement true? I don’t see a specific exception for currencies that cannot be bought with robux. The exception states that actions must:

1 Like

As I reread it, it actually seems unclear. Thanks for bringing that up. It still seems like any direct or indirect Robux purchases count to me. (But not currency that can’t be purchased with Robux) however I’m not exactly sure.

2 Likes

The post clearly states:

This in turn means that given your in game currency falls under “other currency” you are required to state the odds unless its a reward for completing an action (such as completing a quest or winning a round), as stated in the above quote.

2 Likes

what about something that is very indirect, asking because I’m confused on if this would be ok or not

you have eggs and they can only be bought for coins earned in game (the coins cannot be bought)

one way to earn coins is to level up, and a you get a set amount of coins per level lets go with 100 coins

this would be fine, but what if you have a Experience Gamepass which lets you get double exp

you’d still earn the coins but you would be able to earn them quicker than others

(just curious, either way I think it’s best to have the chances for all random loot boxes even if they aren’t purchased)

2 Likes

When Roblox is more ethical than huge companies like EA>

Good stuff.

7 Likes

I assume you would tell the players that their chances of getting the color they want is completely random.

edit: If I had a lootbox system that was random, meaning all the items In them had a equal chance of being dropped. Then my chance of getting the item I want would depend on how many items are in the lootbox. 100 items in the lootbox would mean I get a 1 of 100 chance.

1 Like

I think this is an amazing update. This makes sure people can’t just make loot boxes and make buyers confused on how rare the items they want are (basically sucking the robux out of people’s pockets since they don’t show how unfair the chance for a legendary item is). I hope roblox makes more rules like this so devs find more original ways of making money rather than loot crates and eggs.

1 Like

Why would they check the source code? Id hope that Roblox tries not to just randomly read people’s code. You could figure the same thing out by repeatedly opening a crate and working out the probability

3 Likes

Would like to see an official response to this. The new ToS is designed around the idea of traditional loot box rarities, and doesn’t mention a system where all odds are equal.

This is especially unclear given the example with the “Diamond Egg” where it has 100% “Legendary” tier chance.

3 Likes

That diamond egg is already already questionably against the new terms of use, as there’s an additional 1/250 chance of the egg being a “gifted bee”, the odds of which are not stated anywhere but the wiki for the game.

2 Likes

This still isn’t clear to me. Could someone explain it a bit easier?

1 Like

Really glad to see Roblox doing what governments around the world refuse to do in order to make a better community for both developers AND players.

1 Like

If someone does that and players report this / moderation suspects this, and subsequently Roblox audits the source code and finds that it’s done intentionally, they will probably be disciplined for that in terms of a moderation action + asked to fix the game.

6 Likes

does this also apply for crates bought with in-game currency?

1 Like

Is there any particular reason you don’t want Roblox reevaluating each line aside from it being a violation of your privacy?

If a gifted bee is more powerful than a legendary bee then I see no harm with this loophole. From a P2W player’s perspective, if it were to state for example 1% chance of gaining a gifted bee than players would react compulsively by purchasing x amount of diamond eggs until a gifted bee was obtained. By not informing the player of the gifted bee they’re less likely to be consumed with a dopamine rush.

1 Like

I would certainly think so, provided that the currency can be purchased using Robux because they can still pay to get the lootboxes, it’s just indirect. If Robux is not involved nor is it a potential method of obtaining the lootbox, I don’t believe this applies.

1 Like