Gun Crates vs Gun Shop

I’m deciding on what system to do for buying gun skins. I personally think tiered crates are more fun than just going into a shop and buying them one by one. Plus you can make a trading system for skins that are unboxed, since you can unbox duplicates into your inventory.

Which system is better? Unboxing gun skins from crates? Or just buying them from a shop?

6 Likes

Sounds good, can I ask what the general idea of your game is? Is it a Battle Royale, FPS, Third Person Shooter, Gun Game, etc.?

1 Like

It’s for Bullet Storm: Bullet Storm Ra-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta - #8 by BmxAlternative

Uh, I guess my post was a bit unclear. I meant to ask which system would be better for my game?

1 Like

I think the Gun Crates
As it may make players want to grind out for the currency to buy a crate.
(Possibly for their dream skin)

If you were to do a shop:
I would recommend a daily refreshing shop for skins

2 Likes

That refreshing idea is pretty good too!

1 Like

I see it in games like Squadron, and clicker games.
I have not seen it in a murder mystery style game before.

BUT!

I feel like that the refreshing shop would be cool for a product / limited skin shop.
You would buy the items in their with robux.
They would only be available for 24 hours, and after that time, the items would be reset to new limited items.

2 Likes

I feel like crates are a good idea, unless you have a unique, creative shop. Crates can keep players grinding, and can keep them excited as they open crates. A shop is somewhat boring, whereas crates can cause a player to instantly like the game because they got something “good”. A shop is a good idea too, it really just depends where and how you use both of these systems.

I believe a crate system is better as it can offer can exciting experience for the players each time, and trading would be possible as well. I love games in which you can trade, so for me, I think the crates option is the best choice. Like I said though, it depends on your game, and how you do it.

1 Like

A synthesis of both is always a good option. You could create a shop to sell limited skins and use crates to give out sets of skins for longer periods of time. This broadens your game’s options of these mechanics to allow for a limited edition / rare ethos to your skins, as well as providing a system to attain lots of diverse skins simply for aesthetic.

2 Likes

You can take the approach that Epic Games uses for Rocket League. There is an item shop that rotates out items every day and every two days for the bigger items, but you can also still get the items by chance (in your case through crates). This allows players to buy whatever skin they want directly when the item comes to the shop, or take their chances and try to get it early through the crate.

1 Like

I think it just really depends on what game your attempting to make, if its a battle royale or if its like some standard game where a shop is needed and not necessarily a crate system then I'd go for the shop then their is the side of exploitation , that can effect your game so if you were making an unboxing system make it secure and as unexploitable as you can make it.

1 Like

I think gun crates would be better. Or if you want, you could make a shop rotation system, where new things are added everyday after a certain time period, as seen in games like Arsenal.

1 Like

Thanks guys, these are all great suggestions!

1 Like

No problem, whatever you decide to do, Good luck man

2 Likes

Anytime! I really hope your game succeeds!
Good Luck!