Have any way to make a big map without lose a lot of performace?

I’m trying to make a big map, but I don’t want to cause lag, because my game is a game of magic, powers etc, this is the map:

The problem is, Terrain will cause Lag with a large map, unions will also cause Lag, several Parts will also cause lag

I tried meshpart but the collision is horrible, my map has holes for players to go into exhaustion, but their collision does not work using meshpart, the player simply passes over

https://gyazo.com/02002f8b7f87130dadff9498f52b2b7d

So i dont have idea how make a big map without Lag

2 Likes

Hi there!,
I’ve had maps as big as that on the past, so I could give you a few suggestions.

• Turn unions into meshes - that would reduce the partcount of your buildings, as I do believe most of the buildings there are just going to be fillers. However, turning large unions, as you’ve said will lead to a bad colision.
  • Put everything on folders, i.e. have a folder for the buildings, one for the roads, one for the vegetation etc.
  • Scripting could also reduce your lag, if you do get the right scripting.
  • The new lightning system lags as well, so you would have to avoid that if you do want such a big map.
    These are only some of the suggestions I can give you, based on the details you provided. You can contact me for any further questions you might have.
1 Like

Clarification:

• Is this a StreamingEnabled game?
  • How fast will players be travelling throughout the map?
  • How big is your map going to be in terms of studs, part count, etc? (or just compare to a popular game, e.g. Jailbreak)

I just need to clarify a few things before providing an adequate answer, since games with big terrain maps do exist on Roblox, but obviously require optimization.

Is a map bigger like Super Power Training Simulator and the Power Simulator (both are differents games)

Don’t worry about it. Large maps are completely possible on Roblox.
You need to make sure you don’t have too many parts in one place. Density is the largest issue.

I’d also avoid unions almost entirely. They’re not very efficient.

1 Like

Well then this shouldn’t be a much of a problem, those games’ maps are much smaller than the likes of Jailbreak/MadCity which use plenty of terrain and have a higher part count.
You should have:

• Streaming Enabled On
  • Limit part count in one area
  • Use meshes over unions
  • Avoid having too many moving parts on the server (e.g. wind turbines)
2 Likes

I will wait the New meshpart collide PreciseConvexComposition