Having troubles with Beams

Hello,

Today I’ve been trying to create a simulator arc effect, but a little more advanced, like this one in Candy Collecting Simulator:

Example

It has a gradient effect that I found cool and would like to implement in my projects, the problem is that when I use images in Beams they get a strange line, or when I don’t use them, they go in the wrong direction.

First Try

The result

As you can see there, there is a noticeable and annoying line that doesn’t fit the transparency, in which case I’m using images to achieve this effect, and I’ve tried to reimport about 5 different gradients and all caused it.

First, I will explain as I did. I used two beams and two attachments, both beams share the same attachments, the only thing that changes in their properties is the size of the curve, where one CurveSize is positive and the other negative, so creating a circle, maybe I’m wrong .

Properties

Gradient_Try_1.rbxm (31.5 KB)

Second Try

The Result

In this case, I tried to solve it by not using images, and just a sequence of numbers for transparency, but another problem arises then, the orientation is not correct, but I can’t solve it either.

Properties

Gradient_Try_2.rbxm (31.4 KB)

Sorry it was not so clear, I tried to explain as best I can as I am not a Roblox Special Effects Expert. If you know another totally different solution for that, I’d love to know!

2 Likes

im not a special effects expert either in fact i hardly every do anything other than building, buuut ive has almost exactly the same problem when dealing with gradient or transparent textures with the same annoying line appearing every time. with textures you can just change the texture offset slightly to get rid of the line and im pretty sure you can do the same with beams (correct me if im wrong, i dont have access to a computer right now so i cant verify this :P)

2 Likes

I’m 99% sure what is happening here is the texture is looping at the very edge, making the last few pixels completely opaque. I tried messing around with the properties to see if there was a workaround, but since the artifact is actually on the width of the beam I’m not sure it can actually be removed.

So what I’ve done is for the actual texture you use in the beam, where the gradient is completely opaque I have deleted a small line of pixels to make them completely transparent, this removed the line for me! :slight_smile:

New Gradient

(Notice the small line of transparent pixels to the right)

Result

5 Likes

I tried to do this a few times, the same way, but the line was still there, could you tell me which program you used? In my case it was Photoshop. Did you import from Studio or website?

My Tries

Anyway, thanks, I’ll try to find a solution based on this! :smile:

1 Like

I used photoshop and just took the retangular marquee tool and deleted a ~5 pixel width from the right, in your tried images I noticed none of them have this.

If you want I’ll link you the decals I uploaded:

Good luck with your project! :slight_smile:

4 Likes