Head texture only visible on the front side

You can write your topic however you want, but you need to answer these questions:

1. What do you want to achieve? Keep it simple and clear!
    I want to create a marble statue of my character

2. What is the issue? Include screenshots / videos if possible!
    When I set the texture for the head using scripts only the front side has texture
    image No marble texture here
    Here is my script:

local Players = game:GetService("Players")

local dummy = workspace.Dummy

local humanoidDescription
local success, err = pcall(function()
	humanoidDescription = Players:GetHumanoidDescriptionFromUserId(325114244)
end)

if success then
	dummy.Humanoid:ApplyDescription(humanoidDescription)

dummy.Humanoid.AutomaticScalingEnabled = false

for i, child in pairs(dummy:GetChildren()) do
		if child:IsA("Accessory") then
			local handle = child:FindFirstChild("Handle")
			handle:FindFirstChildOfClass("SpecialMesh").TextureId = "rbxassetid://3311972859"
		end
	end
	for i, child in pairs(dummy.Head:GetChildren()) do
		if child:IsA("Decal") then
			child:Destroy()
		elseif child:IsA("SpecialMesh") then
			if humanoidDescription.Head == 0 then
				child.MeshId = "rbxasset://avatar/heads/head.mesh"
				child.Scale = Vector3.new(1, 1, 1)
			else
				child.MeshId = humanoidDescription.Head
			end
			child.TextureId = "rbxassetid://3311972859"
		end
	end
end
  1. What solutions have you tried so far? Did you look for solutions on the Developer Hub?
    I have tried searching this issue on DevForum but I found nothing.
1 Like

Yeah that’s the thing with a Head mesh. Decals and textures are only (typically) for the front surface of an object, so there’s no way to repair this as-is. For a mesh however, a texture will completely wrap all its surfaces as expected.

You have one of two options here: replacing your head with a MeshPart version of a Roblox head, or applying the texture to all surfaces of the head. Warning that doing the latter can result in some ugliness or undesired appearance.

how can I replace the head?

sdfsdppdsfo (30 characters now)

Hacky way is to force disable the death state and swap out the head with a bit of welding. Non-hacky way is to just weld a MeshPart head to the real head and insert an invisible mesh to the real head (so that the nameplate will not disappear, as it does with a transparency of 1).

3 Likes

Roblox character’s heads follow UV mapping rather than autogenerated texture mapping like standard meshparts with decals on them. What this means is a meshpart or a specialmesh will both act identically if named ‘Head’ and parented to a character model.

If you use a specialmesh: using a ‘texture ID’ will follow the UV map, and not provide transparency. Using a decal will follow the UV map, and provide transparency.

If you use a meshpart: Using a ‘texture ID’ will follow the UV map, and not provide transparency.
Using a decal will follow the UV map, and not provide transparency.

This is opposed to how it normally works, where using a decal on a meshpart will never follow the UV map, and instead auto generate the decal’s texture on a face, and using a texture ID will never allow for transparency.

What this ultimately means:

You’re going to have to get a meshpart version of the head that is UV unwrapped in such a way that the textures map to it correctly.

2 Likes