Health themed Roblox items violate Geneva Conventions

In the 1860s, the establishment of the Red Cross would spark the beginnings of the Geneva Conventions, a series of international humanitarian laws written to protect the rights of civilians, military personnel, and prisoners of war. With the declaration of the First Geneva Convention in 1864 came the protection of the Red Cross, to be used as a universally identifiable symbol of neutral medical aid offered by the International Committee of the Red Cross.

Over the years, the ICRC has lead efforts to combat misuse and spread awareness that the Red Cross is not a public domain emblem. This includes variants which alter the proportions, change the color of the background, and integrate the emblem as part of a logo.

As far as I’m aware, there are at least five official Roblox items which misuse the Red Cross emblem.

Doctor Hat - Roblox

Nurse Hat - Roblox

First Aid Kit - Roblox

Emergency Rations - Roblox

Sci-Fi MedVac 4300 - Roblox

14 Likes

We’re taking a look! We’ll get back to you when we have an update :slight_smile: thanks for the thoughtful report

7 Likes

Don’t use the word: “misuse” if the first 5 Roblox items you haven’t seen is that they portray real life first aid kit bandages and doctors with this logo similiar to the ones you see at your nearest hospital. If it were to be clothing featuring red cross that’s used for armed combat, then it would be a problem due to it contravening with the Geneva Conventions.

2 Likes

Hello there!

While it is true that these Roblox items may depict an accurate reflection of real world scenarios where the Red Cross emblem is used without permission, recreating those instances in Roblox would be considered misuse as well. As described in the Red Cross Significance Flyer linked in the original post, “misuse occurs when an unauthorized party uses the Red Cross emblem without permission.”

If you wish to read more about the International Committee of the Red Cross, and the Red Cross emblem itself, you can visit the ICRC’s website at https://www.icrc.org/en. Their website not only offers plenty of resources describing their work, but gives you a quick and easy donation page to help directly fund their efforts!

8 Likes

Sadly this is not the case, the Red Cross Organization clearly states that “The Red Cross emblem is a protected symbol and is not descriptive for medical or emergency care , first aid or disaster response. This is misuse, and it diminishes the meaning and goodwill of the Red Cross emblem.”, in the same link @Spectaqual provided in their post.

So in this case the Red Cross has been misused and falls under the misuse category described by the Red Cross Organization.

1 Like

Never thought that red cross VIOLATES any rules. There’s TONS of games which utilize it for medkits or smth like that, but bruh, who, when and why someone desided to block use of them? It’s widespread symbol for a lot of healing items in games. Even just changing it to green will negativelly impact a lot of games. Just example of health potions: Red cross, red blood, red health bar. Everything is red. Never saw green or blue health potions.

2 Likes

You will not see any hospital using the Red Cross unless it qualifies very specifically under the terms of the Geneva Conventions.

2 Likes

Actually there aren’t because they all have to remove it

3 Likes

This feels like a pedantic issue and not impactful at all to fix, I would rather Roblox staff spend their time elsewhere.

14 Likes

It’s specifically a red cross on a white background. So your last two images are not in violation. However, I wish to point out that the Geneva Conventions does not apply to civilians in peace time.

The red cross symbol becomes very important during war and armed conflict because it means that’s a place where people can be safe, receive medical aid, food, shelter, etc… It’s neutral and violation of that is a war crime. My initial reaction was this was bogus bug report. But after doing some research, I see the importance of it and why it’s protected by international treaty.

Furthermore, you can be fined and go to jail for not using it correctly. So the United States does take this very seriously.

On an unrelated note, I discovered that the ICRC is encouraging people to conform to Geneva Conventions when playing combat games. This would include the international rules of engagement.

2 Likes

This is fair, since I don’t know the Red Cross to just sue everyone like Nintendo does. Even if it is a low priority, I still think it is good to at least bring up and have in the backlog since it is a potential trademark issue. It would also be a sign to others to not use the symbol as well.

4 Likes