Heightmaps Go to New Altitudes!

Hey!

Do you guys plan on making the maximum terrain size above 16k studs?

2 Likes

Not in short term. In long term: yes very likely. But it is not our priority now.

5 Likes

Absolutely beautiful, and as soon as I started learning terrain creation in gaea and WorldBuilder hahaha

2 Likes

Glad to hear that there are upcoming improvements to server startup time with large terrain maps! I’ve actually created another large terrain map (16000x16000, 1000 tall) and the loading time is even worse than 40 seconds. From my testing, it takes 10+ minutes for a server to start in this game. It may be useful as a benchmark for whatever loading improvements are being worked on.

2 Likes

And we appreciate community members who use the tools we provide to build 3rd-party plugins the community finds useful!

5 Likes

If you have a minute to post your workflow somewhere, I’m guessing folks would find it useful. Who doesn’t want to import the Grand Canyon?

4 Likes

Sure,

• Go to https://terrain.party/ and find your desired location. There are probably better tools to get better data but this is the quickest I have found. Click the ‘cloud’ button to download the grid you have selected. (*see Edit details below)
  • In the generated zip file, there are several versions of the data from various sources, locate the ‘merged’ version png, that seems to be the best quality. Open and save this somewhere easy to find.
  • In studio use the new improved terrain import tool, browse for the file you saved and import. Enjoy your new ‘real world’ terrain.

Edit:
There is a search tool on the site but it never seems to find anything for me. I just zoom way out to find the continent then drill down to the location, google maps cross reference is helpful. Once you are in the vicinity, click the ‘cloud’ (export) button, it will prompt you to center your selection. Then click Cancel (so you can actually position the selection first. Position and size your selection grid, then click the ‘cloud’ button again to export the data.

15 Likes

As someone who uploads heightmaps from real life locations for historical purposes, I thank you so much for this. I will finally be able to upload maps like this without worrying about resolution loss on the heightmap and needing to fix generation errors from the colormap.

On the picture above is a 16,345 x 23,315 stud scale generated terrain of Manila, and is more or less 1:1 scale with real life. The terrain doesn’t render as good anymore since the camera is so far away just to capture the entire map.

10 Likes

:open_mouth: omg yes I am going to play with this now.

2 Likes

yeah Im now addicted

1st Try

2nd Try

EWRFGB

3 Likes

i love this update :clap:

28 Likes

it’s the creator of Minecraft of-course!

14 Likes

Omg It is, It’s Jeb! He added redstone to minceraft!

6 Likes

Why am I always late :expressionless: this is gamechanging, I’ll be able to generate terrain easily without putting away hours and hours trying to sculpt, in fact, it’s just so great seeing roblox reaching new heights, I can barely contain my excitement, time to try it.

3 Likes

the speed is SO GOOD look what i made in roblox (image made using microsoft paint lol):

1 Like

lol nice, I couldn’t find a png of that meme.

1 Like

I really love this V2 a lot!
A bunch of screenshots I took while testing this, looks awesome! Thank you Roblox! :purple_heart:

16 Likes

I haven’t tested this feature yet but does this new update include a proper rate tool for terrrian the old one was awful to roate things and you couldn’t get it to rotate the way you wanted to.

Also does the new version support loads of amount of terrrian because the old one lilterly crashes your game and eaither gives an error message roblox has crashed we are sorry or an error code 260 unable to receive data please reconnect.

This is definelity not Starry Skies

4 Likes

When will this be an uploaded feature? Instead of just a Beta.

1 Like