Help choosing shadows!

Hey! i don’t know what shadows i should choose for my game (i like both)

Second one has less perfomance impact
What do you like more? :thinking:

2 Likes

I really like the shadow displayed in the first image. It appears to have sharper edges and just shows a lot more detail in the shadow. It really depends on if the game is intended for users with stronger computers. If you want more people to be able to play the game, it would make a lot more sense for you to chose the second one. It’s really up to you!

1 Like

First for sure! Look at the interior of the car in both images. In the first one, it looks normal— a little darker than the outside. In the second image however, it’s as bright as day.
image image

1 Like

I can’t even tell the difference between the 2 just use the faster one.

1 Like
  1. Nice car model.
  2. We are not decision makers here to assist developers’ every move, not every small decision needs to be posted as a question, comes off as spammy and a bit irresponsible as well as it floods the categories. You know best for your game so make the small decision yourself and be it.

I personally prefer the first one as it shows off the detail on it better. If you’re going for a showcase-esc build, I’d recommend the first one. If you’re using this for a game, I’d recommend the second one for the better experience of the average player.

Also, ignore ZR1C8, he’s negative on every post of his.

3 Likes

1st one looks better, also makes the inside of the car look better.

2 Likes

Assuming this is for a showcase or a one - three player game, 100% the first car. Unless, of course you are looking for performance, but with this high quality car model I doubt you are prioritizing performance. But if you are using this for a game where there will be many instances of this car rendered at once, I might recommend the second one as It will help with performance and will increase user experience.
Don’t worry if you feel like you’re missing out on quality using the second shadow though, it still looks great!

Also, nice car! It looks really good!

Oh and ignore ZR1C8, leave it to the person with the new username “AngryDevforumUser” to make a stupidly rage-y post telling you not to ask game design questions, in the game design support category.

2 Likes

All depends on your game’s map, and the devices it’s going to be released on.

• if you plan to do mobile, go straight for the blurred shadow for its lower resolution. Pros : increase in performance.
    Cons : Lesser quality shadow.

• If you plan to do PC/Consoles, I strongly recommend the hard edges for its high resolution look. It will enhance the realism in most conditions. There is no reason to lose such detail.
    Pros : Realism.
    Cons : Decrease in performance.

I’m admitting that this game is still in a production phase, so I wouldn’t recommend thinking too much about this before even having a map, I guess.
Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Shadows is important thing in games, it changes everything, i don’t think it’s a small decision. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes