Help figuring out which lighting choice to go with

First I wanna say idk if this is the right place.

I need help figuring out which lighting would be best used for this city me and @nurgenius are making.

plz help ;0;

0 voters

@buildthomas Thanks for fixing my screwed up english. XD

5 Likes

And if there are any pros here, please do tell us if there is anything we could do to make it better.

2 Likes

note: I myself feel like the Pink and purple is hot but sadly I feel like the blue one just feels more revealing if you know what I mean.

1 Like

I don’t know what your game is about or how you want it to feel (that helps in determining lighting choices), but I picked the purple one because I felt it was ethereal and I liked the cloud skybox. :stuck_out_tongue: However, if you’re looking or a more run-of-the-mill look, I’d stick with the blue. But try to spice up that skybox a bit!

Additionally, I might try to tone down the overall tint and add only highlights of color — sometimes it’s just a little much, especially since the neon lights look blue (can’t really tell, tbh). Experiment with all of the lighting options if you aren’t already, including sun rays and color correction.

Overall, nice build!

5 Likes

Oh, just wait for the lighting update to come, and hope for excellent and appealing view of it.

3 Likes

They’re both great. I suggest that blue for day, and the purple for dusk.

If there’s no day night cycle, go blue.

2 Likes

What kind of theme or vibe is your game trying to achieve through these maps? The purple displays a kind of fairy tale theme where as the blue gives off a sort of futuristic feel. In the end, I still feel the purple looks better!

2 Likes

I like the idea of using a purple sky box, but the purple tint on the second comes on too strong and makes it feel unnatural. Even if the sky box is purple, you should still use a mostly blue tint. When the sun is setting in real life, there isnt going to be a orange tint, even though the sky is very orange.

3 Likes

Lighting sets the mood for your game, it is a way to tell the player how to feel or think about your setting. Your lighting choice should depend on how you want your player to feel.

Lighting one looks like early morning, its more of a realistic lighting with calm tones.

Lighting two is more majestic it gives a feeling of wonder. I’m not sure what time of day it is, early sunrise? Sundown? That confusion could be intentional you serve a purpose.

You just need to decide how do you want your player to feel in your game. What matches your gameplay best.

3 Likes

I agree with this. It really all comes down to the theme of the game and what you’ll be using it for.

If you’re going for a showcase I’d go with the second picture because it captivates my attention more due to the nature of the lighting and how its complimenting some of the buildings and atmosphere. It gives me the same vibes of when I viewed Neon City District for the first time.

The first picture is great as well. The skybox in the case of the first picture fits what you’re presenting more than in the second picture the lighting also gives it a more natural look which is also visually pleasing. If this is going to be used as an actual map for a game I’d go with this instead.

Either way great work on your build itself guys. No matter what you pick I’m sure people will love it :ok_hand:t4:

4 Likes

Thank you all for your thoughts on this so far! We’ve decided to use both variations but change the purple slightly down to a more blue-ish purple tone instead of pink and purple.

Bonanza! is a place where anything we imagine will come to life, so I feel as though both are good but one tops the other for certain aspects of the day “We will have day and night cycles most likely.”

Again thank you all for your cooporation you’re help means everything to my team and I <3

@Nightgaladeld Off topic but on topic, can you lock this post? Gonna make a request for the poster to be able to lock their own post cause we kind of need it tbh.

4 Likes

Locked per request of OP