[HELP!] How can I build a smooth mountain?

Everytime I generate the terrain it’s squared and takes hours to fix it with cutting and smoothing. How can I instantly make a round mountain? Thanks guys!
Any other tips on building islands?

1 Like

Roblox terrain is more of an art than an exact science. If you want organic looking terrain, then the best way of doing it is by hand.

However, I can recommend some strategies to achieve terrain that looks good. I assume you’re going for a realistic style, so here are some general tips.

• The grow tool is your best friend. It gradually edits the terrain in an area and allows you to “sculpt” your terrain. On large scales, you can make the basic outline of a hill. On smaller scales, you can use it to fine tune the subtle features of a given area.

• Avoid unnaturally steep slopes. If you look around outside, it’s rare to see a natural steep slope outside of maybe a canyon or cliff side. Your game won’t look natural if your hills and valleys are incredibly steep for no reason, because that’s just not how terrain in the real world looks. Erosion is a process that take thousands of years and gently sculpts the landscape, so it’s rather uncommon to see sharp angles or dramatic elevation changes outside of a few specific areas. These include areas near water (most canyons are created by rivers!), areas that have endured a natural disaster, or areas where human influence has changed the terrain.

• The material colors you choose have to make sense. Look outside right now. Is the grass neon green? Of course not, and so your game should reflect this. A lot of games have very over-saturated terrain colors, which don’t work well with realistic environments. Of course, if you’re going for a cartoony style then this may make sense, but you should generally play around with the terrain colors to make them feel more real.

• A little bit of water transparency looks good. Yeah that’s all there is to say here. Make sure your water isn’t overly transparent to the point of not making sense, but also make sure the color you choose for it works with your environment.

that’s all I’ve got. hopefully this helps with your game!

5 Likes