[HELP] How to model a dragon

Greetings fellow developers!

I have been modeling in blender for a decent amount of time and i am having some issues with modelling dragons, similar to the dragons in dragon adventures. So i am requesting your help. The issues i have been having are,

• What kind of tools in blender should i use, like modifiers(i have like no idea about most modifiers)?

• Do i have to model or do i have to sculpt it? i am trying to create dragons similar to the dragons in dragon adventures.

• Are there any resources like tutorials in the forum and videos that might help me with this task?

• Could the way i build the dragons affect rigging and animating?

• Overall what tips and tricks do you guys have for creature modelling in blender?

Thanks so much for checking out my post and i would really appreciate it if someone could help me with this challenge.

7 Likes

Hi there, so I would recommend some dragon concept art to help you with that, dragons are quite the task to make on depending how much detail you want or need in it. I don’t really do 3D modeling but I can give some tips on how to make the model. I would make limbs and body parts separate, piece by piece to see how it fits and such. I will link some concept art and help for your dragon :grinning:

Blender 2.8 Tutorial How To Make A Dragon Step by Step Part 1 - YouTube

3 Likes

Hello Developer.

Generally, I recommend you searching up dragon concepts online, as @X_ZN0 mentioned before.

That would include:

• Youtube videos
  • References or concepts (what @X_ZN0 mentioned)
  • Any other influence online or Irl.

I’m not a Blender professional, even though I plan to be, yet I still can recommend searching up Blender tutorials that explain every tool in a step-by-step explanation, where you might learn about features on Blender, that you never knew of.

There is a DevForum post about blender, which explains to people how to make or model certain stuff. Maybe this can help as well

I hope this helped, I wish you best of luck!

Regards,
CrashFacts

3 Likes

Thanks so much appreciate the help!

2 Likes

I will now surf the web! Thanks for helping appreciate it! :smiley:

2 Likes

To answer a few of your questions, yes, you will have to model it. Sculpting models is not the best optimized way to create models for roblox. Additionally, the way that you model the dragon can affect the rigging and animation process. You need to make sure that you create seamless joints that will allow the dragon/creature to be animatable. If not, this will cause the animations to seem stiff.

2 Likes