Help me understand how A-Chassis works

I am still very new to coding and the forum so please bear with me

1. What do you want to achieve? Keep it simple and clear!

• I want to build a system similar to A-Chassis that will fit my needs (a vehicle controlling system, not just cars), therefore I want a (relatively) complete understanding of it.
  2. What is the issue? Include screenshots / videos if possible!

• I do not understand how it works. I took a few hours looking through but I still don’t understand how the car moves. Here is what I do understand:
      • The “Drive” local script controls the values for the car such as throttle, brake, RPM, etc
    • Here is what I don’t understand:
      • How does the car move without a script? I could not find the script that actually turns the wheels. Checking script performance on the server showed only “Handler” which seems to control the sound.
  3. What solutions have you tried so far? Did you look for solutions on the Developer Hub?

• Tried looking online for help but only managed to find info about setting it up, not about the scripts. I did find this Car Chassis System talking about vehicleseat, but this is confusing because “AreHingesDetected” shows 0. I also found something called “Rotate” in the wheels that seems to be related to the VehicleSeat? (All I got was how to rotate objects in studio)

I could just make a server script that controls the vehicles but I really want to know how it works. I will greatly appreciate it if someone who is well-versed in this topic can help me out. I am still new so please tell me if I got something wrong here.

Edit: I would like to know how a-chassis can move without a script, not how to make a car. I apologize if it is a bit unclear.

1 Like

Would share a chassis i have, but it isnt owned by me, and is instead owned by @Blokhampster34, not sure how he feels about sharing any of the versions.

Since you tagged my very old post, I will note that I used this tutorial towards the beginning of my journeys to create a custom chassis.

However it would appear that the page is quite broken now unfortunately. If you are seeking a very realistic setup for your cars, simply use the a-chassis model. It’s quite hard to beat the amount of effort they’ve put in to get where they’ve got to. The best case scenario is learning how to mod in extra functionalities on top of what they already provide. (Many games do this to the point some people aren’t aware a game is using a-chassis)

Otherwise if you are simply looking to create something completely your own and custom, don’t try to simply do what a-chassis does. Start out with something small and simple and iterate up to it. Check out YouTube tutorials of how to create a basic car and go from there.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response! I guess I will go with creating my own system. A chassis probably won’t work in my case as it will be trains and I want to have a completely different driving system.

G-Chassis 2021.rbxm (39.9 KB)

From that post of mine that you had linked to your post, this is the “final” version of that car chassis, before I gave up on it. Albeit, I haven’t touched it since then [Sept 2021] so it might not work as good as it used to. The car looks very strange, because it’s the hitbox that would hide underneath a mesh [I took the mesh off, since this is a public release of the model]

This system was used for a racing league, and was designed with the intention of being easy for series hosts to modify the setup of in a more similar fashion to the cars we used before [tank chassis], thus the car lacks suspension components. The LMT Event script is to be put in serverscriptservice.

It’s about as basic of a chassis as you can get, and still have a semi-workable car out of it.

Feel free to tinker with it to your heart’s content. Only thing I ask of anyone taking this model is to not simply post it up as a free model somewhere & claim credit for my works.

Enjoy!

3 Likes