Help on my Japanese Temple!

Hello everyone!, I am currently creating a Japanese temple for a school project (lucky me).
As I started building this temple, I encountered a problem on how to get the shape of the roofs right.
Here is the shape I want to recreate:
Annotation 2020-05-31 125147
Here is my build so far:

Any other tips would we heavily appreciated, but my main question is, how would I get the roofs to have such shape as the image above?

5 Likes

Isn’t that the japanese temple in Kyoto?

I do also recommend you to use Blender to make complicated shapes, that’d also look fancy and more realistic.
For the roof, try using several thin bricks, you can position them, and most importantly, use Solid Modeling ( such as Union & Negate )! Pretty sure you can recreate each parts in Roblox Studio, but Blender would work as well.

All you got to do is to duplicate them with ctrl + d, position the new roof on each side, and add the edges which you can surely shape as well ^^!

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the feedback! I am starting to learn blender, but I don’t think that im capable of achieving something like this. for now I will use roblox studio. I am also still very knew to this developing stuff and am learning a lot along the way. Thanks For the feed back!

Here’s what I have done in Roblox Studio & Blender;
While the fountain is pretty easy to build in Roblox Studio through Solid Modeling ( You can also use different shapes in the toolbox to help you with Solid Modeling, e.g. the arc, or just recreate them by yourself with the cylinder ), the bushes behind the fountain have been done in Blender by using the cutting tool on a cube, which took me not even 5 minutes.

As long as you do have motivation and patience, you can pretty sure do these shapes :)!

Oh, and you could start off with easy things in Blender such as some beveled plank, or as known as low-poly.

1 Like

Nice!
Thank’s alot for this awesome feed back
Quick question, are there any plug ins you’d recommend?

They do not look alike pretty much at all. Add a lot more red, a base underneath the roofs thats red, make it taller, fix the roof etc… there is too much correction to be said, so I’ll just say that you should try to base it off of the picture as accurately as you can and not derail from it and into your imagination when copying a picture. It’s an okay build though, and I’d recommend resizealign as a plugin

No, no ,no. I think you don’t understand what I am asking. What I want is the shape of the roofs, not the base and walls. But thank you for the plug in recommendation.

Oh, and I have started development & building like one month ago.

Also, definitely I do recommend you one ( or eventually two ) plugins!

The Model Resize( r ) plugin allows you to resize your model, even if Roblox isn’t letting you.
This was very helpful to keep my meshes or bricks in its original form but just resized and adjusted.

The F3X tool isn’t something I use though as I do already have the given options in Roblox Studio, but that’d be something for you if you are a fan of fancy GUI’s including several options to do stuff with your model.

1 Like

Well it is help & feedback, but what I said is doing both. Like I said, use resize align. Use rotate tool and resize align. theres your answer

1 Like

Just installed it now. Thank you.

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation, but I already have these 2 plug ins installed. Thanks for the help though!

Hello, there!
*I’d suggest you to use more textures, more like “Japanese” colors, maybe put decals instead of Roblox Studio textures, and you can also use GapFill plugin. Good luck on your project/job of school!

2 Likes

good progress so far, try changing up the materials instead of plastic to look more like the reference.

also, add more colour and maybe try making trees to suit the environment more.

3 Likes

I would say that the colors of the building need to be changed if your trying to recreate a Kiyomizu-dera Temple. Also I would suggest using materials for this type of building to add more detail. fix the roof to fix the gaps at the corners overall, I would fix the colors and fill up the gaps.

2 Likes

I’ve got two things:
1: For the pillars, use blocks instead of cylinders.
2: Make the orange color a red, not an orange, as It feels to bright.

1 Like

The OP is having problems creating a proper curved roof not asking for feedback, however, if it’s needed that’ll help him improve more further on his project, then I think it’ll be used for small improvements on his build back to the OP. If I’m not mistaken I think to achieve this the best source of action personally would be using the Archimedes two plugin it will allow you to create a more curved object.

You can build nearly anything inside studio if you’re good at achieving these types of problems try to experiment into using the plugin suggested above. I’m not sure why users are suggesting you use a blender to create this which can be made in studio this is just feedback you could use later down the line if needed when finishing the roof The first thing I would add to the roof is the support beams that holds the roof up, you could add some in the corners holding up the roof part.

And then finish it by adding small parts around the building depending if you’re already working on that. Strive for brighter colors as well to make it pop.

https://www.roblox.com/library/264838065/Fixed-ResizeAlign-and-GapFill

2 Likes

I agree with 9Dcx on that you should try using Blender. Just remember when exporting the mesh it can only be a curtain amount of triangles (10,000, I think)? You might want to make 1 side of the roof in blender, and then put it together in Roblox Studio. Other then that your build is very nice. I’m sure whatever you choose to do it will look great in the end.

2 Likes

its 5,000 triangles i think.

30chars

2 Likes

You can just do them low-poly to lower the triangles?

1 Like

How about using union operations?
Create a roof sized box and negate four wedges from it