Help! Someone made a knock-off version of my game

Basically I made this game where you can draw stuff and then turn into the drawing:
(39) draw things and turn into them :paintbrush: - Roblox
Created 3th February 2023

But recently, I found a game that literally ripped off my game!!!
(39) Doodle Transform! - Roblox
(Created 6 days after)

Now you may think that is a coincidence, but there’s a lot of similarities.
For example, the thumbnails are basically the same exact thing:

What do you think about this, Devforum members?

4 Likes

It’s called competition. However, you can file dcma report for copyrighting your thumbnails without your permission. Roblox ban hammer goes brrr

2 Likes

Thanks for your help! I will surely do that.

1 Like

note: needs to be the same thumbnails though

1 Like

in my eyes they look identical

1 Like

Yep, if to human eyes, they’re the same, you can surely grab that hammer.

1 Like

You should report the game, the group that holds the game and the owner of the group.

1 Like

You cannot DMCA someone for copying a game concept.

DMCA stands for Digital Millennium Copyright Act, and its job is to criminalize intellectual property violations.

Copyright does not protect the idea for game, its name or title, or the method or methods for playing it . Nor does copyright protect any idea, system, method, device, or trademark material involved in developing, merchandising, or playing a game.

source
This means your game’s concept is not protected under DMCA.

In the thumbnail case, you could claim copyright if they stole the image entirely and reuploaded it, but if it’s just a knockoff, there’s not much you can do.

This “copy” is just competition. Maybe morally incorrect, but competition nonetheless.

4 Likes

Hmm not entirely sure If I agree :skull:

1 Like

They made a better game, lol what about it?

1 Like

Feel really sorry for you. You could try contacting them to ask them whether they’ve seen your game first?

I’ve seen an ad saying “Doodle Transform” meaning they are advertising their game. I would suggest you expose them on Twitter or any other social medias

1 Like

Im playing devil’s advocate here, but it is easy for you to create a place with a different game on 2/3/23 and then just migrate your new experience there once you’ve copied the other game… so creation date doesn’t mean much.

Also, when you go into your game’s group, it shows your old game thumbnail which is this:

Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 12.43.17 PM

So to outsiders this looks like you copied their thumbnail, not the other way around.

Just simple observations, make what you will of it.

2 Likes

You own your game. You own the assets you made. You have, most likely, full control over those assets. All of that is part of your intellectual property.

You don’t, however, have the right to decide what happens with an idea. And that’s exactly what game rules are: they’re an idea. If they didn’t take your assets, this is completely fine. You may not like it, but it is legal, and allowed per Roblox’ TOS

2 Likes

“no offense but i am going to offend you anyways”, damn okay

1 Like

Nope, not ai anything, it was my simple observations as i stated.

I agree a lot with what @RMofSBI said.

Roblox has millions of people creating games. Don’t forget how publishing can work - you don’t need to actually create an experience to publish it, you first can make the game in Studio simply as a save file, and then publish it, creating a new experience through that file.
And the amount of features they have in their game seems like a little too much to have done in merely 6 days.

This has happened to tons of developers no doubt. Like others have said, it’s competition.

I’ll be brutally honest - they have a more catchy name, and a lot more features including a moderation system which is crucial for these types of games. Yes, your game lets you hide those players, but that doesn’t change the fact they can still join any server and appear as that to many people, causing them to leave.

Basically, keep up with them. Add more features, update your thumbnail and title. ‘draw things and turn into them🖌️’ doesn’t sound very good to me as a game designer, and likely not to new players. Sure, interesting, but not attention-grabbing, etcetera with the other features.

Best of luck to you with your game :+1:

1 Like

Please add clarification for future reference on which thumbnail is yours and which is theirs. I saw an ad for Doodle Transform on the Roblox website using the cat thumbnail which I previously believed was yours due to the way your message is structured. Almost made a false report by mistake.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.