Help using AlignOrientation

Hey, and thanks for reading in advance.

I’m attempting to rig up the Princess NPCs in my upcoming Fat Princess clone with AlignOrientation constraints that prevent them from flipping over/tripping when thrown after being carried by a player.

I read the API about their various properties, but something’s not clicking here with setting the properties. No matter where or which direction the princess is thrown, she always attempts to face the displayed direction, despite the fact the axis I set was only supposed to keep her upright and remain local to her facing direction.

I know I’m doing something wrong here, but no amount of fiddling with the properties window is replicating the behavior I’m looking for. Do I need to use the TwoAttachments mode?

Help or advice is appreciated.

1 Like

you need to put a attachment in the part you want to move
(else it wont do anything)

Whoops. Not sure how that got cleared, but it was definitely set to the RootPart of the Princess when I was testing it. I could update the screenshot, I guess - but the point is that I’m getting this behavior even when every property is presumably set correctly.

you need to add a attachment to the rootpart not the rootpart itself.

Let me clarify:

This is the model I’m testing with. The AlignOrientation (Gyro) is set to the RootAttachment inside the HumanoidRootPart. The behavior I’m getting occurs under these conditions.

To be extremely specific - with the now-deprecated BodyGyro you could choose which axis could and could not be torqued, and setting a Gyro’s CFrame with torque only applicable on the Z axis would mean that a part could not pitch in either direction. What I’m looking to do is have the Princess point straight up relative to the world at all times, without having the AlignOrientation attempting to alter her facing direction.

My problem is that I haven’t found a way to replicate this behavior with the AlignOrientation object. It only allows you to isolate the X axis of an attachment, from what I’ve gathered so far - you can’t use the Y without also including the X.

It’s not possible right now sadly. There is a feature request for adding the per axis functionality to AlignOrientation and the other new constraints but it’s been 4 years and nothing has happened. For now, I would say just use a BodyGyro.