Help with a resetting timer

hello again,

im struggling a bit with a combat system.
basically, you click to punch, and if you punched less than 1.2 seconds ago, it will play a different animation, reset the timer to 0, going up to a combo of 4, before a short cooldown and reverting back to the first animation(an great example is the strongest battlegrounds). however, if you do not punch within 1.2 seconds of your last punch, the animation will reset back to the first one. does that make sense?

the thing im struggling with is the time since last punch. i’ve tried “while true do” and “for” loops, but they seem to never play the timer again. for example, when the timer starts, it cannot be reset, and won’t work a second time. what is a reliable way of achieving this; am i just doing the loops incorrectly, or is there a better way?

while true do
	if attacktime ~= 1.2 then
		attacktime += 0.1
		task.wait(0.1)
	end
end
1 Like

try using tick() instead of this, just record the tick in the first punch, and do tick() - lastPunch

how would i use it correctly here? (i haven’t used it a lot)

local StartTime = tick()

task.wait(3)
print(tick() - StartTime)

tick() gives you the seconds passed from 1st january 1970, so create a variable after the first punch, then after another punch try lastPunch - tick() this will give you the difference between the first punch and the other

quick note, if you use tick() wou cant make the attack time 1.4 cause tick would return seconds in integer, so i suggest using courutines and put the function you used in courutine

while true do
	if attacktime ~= 1.2 then
		attacktime += 0.1
		task.wait(0.1)
	end
end

have a nice day :grin:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.