Help With Adding Roblox Clothing to Custom-made Body Parts For a Rig

This is my first time making custom body parts for a rig. I have always been drawn to using the default “R6” and “R15” body parts. I spent the last week creating the meshes in Blender; UV-mapped, and everything. I exported it all to Roblox, made it a rig, and then added a “Shirt” and “Pants” only to find out that my UV map layouts were not matching up with the Roblox shirts and pants textures.

CustomRigTest

As you can see, only the Roblox body parts were mapped correctly.

I exported out the model from Studio and imported it to Blender to see what was going on. Opened up the UV map, and found out that Roblox shrunk my UV and moved it into the top left corner…

Well if you look at Roblox’s UV layout you can see that they have a specific spot for your UV to go. For proof just check out what it looks like when I select one of Roblox’s default body parts in Blender…

If you look at default body part you can see that it fits perfectly where it should. That makes legitimate sense, so I figured I could rearrange my UV so that it fits with this Roblox one…

Re-uploaded it, and everything. Only to find out that Roblox again just moved it all to the exact same spot…

Before_and_After

Roblox’s default body parts were able to stay stationary, yet mine got moved to the corner. At the moment, I am out of ideas. I went to the devforum, and searched as much as I could online. Only a few people touched on the subject and no real answers came out of it yet. I would love to hear your guys opinions about this. It would be a huge help if there was legitimate answer to keep the UV’s in the right position and matched up with the shirts and pants on Roblox. If not, I completely understand. Thank you for your time!

9 Likes

Hey sorry to necromance @Bananacb, but did you ever figure this out?

Oftenticious did do this for the R15 in Apoc 2, but did not go into detail about it. DataBrain did this successfully with the even more eccentric R6. From this post.

I believe you need to utilize the actual texture of characters, which is the composite texture, in short when considering the uvs of custom characters. DataBrain also mentions the offset and how he dealt with it.

1 Like

I never did end up figuring it out. What I ended up doing was I took Roblox’s default Robloxian 2.0 and re-sized body parts to different sizes to get the look I wanted, and re-rigged it all after. I got lucky because it ended up working out well for what I was doing. In the future, I do want to attempt this again because I know how valuable it is for a game to include the shirts and pants of the Roblox avatars into games.

I took a look at the post by DataBrain and it looks very interesting, I can’t wait to give this a try when I get the chance. Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate it!

2 Likes