Help WIth Finding Sources ti Learn Lua

Hey Devs, I’m mostly a builder, but would love to learn how to script in Lua! Does anyone know of any good person-to-person classes I can take from the age of 14. Thanks!

1 Like

There have been numerous threads made about learning to script. The Search function on the DevForum is handy, so I’d recommend that you make use of it in order to get a broad spectrum of answers from people with plenty of experience.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the help really appreciate it!

1 Like

There was just a post about this. Like how did you not see it?

Here is what I will say:

You can see if a college near by does a coding camp. Here is one I know and went to once called IdTechCamps

Or you can buy books.

I recommend learning JavaScript or Python, then Lua, then C#. They build up on each other.

You can also find someone to help teach you.

1 Like

Ha, no I did see it it was just there was no good Lua classes for my age. They were all for younger kids. I tried books and videos they just aren’t for me and would love if there was a affordable class I could take.

Okay, but don’t limit yourself to just Lua, the more languages you learn the easier it is to understand.

I know, but I’d like to start with Lua since it would help me build games.

1 Like

I would recommend you search open sourced games, here is a reply I made about that too, with some games:
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/i-need-a-coding-teacher/460573/5?u=conejin_alt

1 Like

Thanks this sorta helped, I just really want a IRL class.

This page has a lot of resources for person-to-person classes.

Unfortunately, not many of them seem to be geared towards teenagers, most are for kids 5-10. Good luck, however!

Edit: Here’s another one: Educators - Roblox Education

1 Like

Just gotta say, IDTech is amazing, I can highly vouch for it!

1 Like

If you are going to only be learning Lua for the sake of creating scripts on Roblox then I would suggest you to learn Lua first. Not Javascript or Python as suggested in one of the other replies. Why? I think Lua by default is simplistic enough and easy to understand, and if you’re using it for the sake of Roblox only, it makes it even more reasonable to learn Lua first. But with that out of the way, where do you start? Everyone starts out differently, but I suggest you learn the basics of Lua, and most importantly the basics that many other scripting / programming languages will have. (Variables, functions, arrays / tables, etc). If I were you, I would learn Variables, Different types of datatypes (Strings, Booleans, Integers, etc), Functions and then Loops. What sources can you use?

1. Well obviously, you can use the DevForum to ask if you have a problem
  2. TutorialSpoint - Lua
  3. Lua.org - Programming in Lua
  4. Youtube. Basically any tutorial that covers the basics of Lua.
  5. Google. Google the things you are confused about, or are just curious about. For example, if I don’t know functions, I might google “What are Functions in Lua?”

If you are using Youtube, it is probably best to search a Lua tutorial without a “Roblox” keyword, since you are just learning the Lua basics, not Roblox components. However, if you feel that a tutorial that’s affiliated with Roblox might be more helpful, then go with that.

This is pretty much all I got to say, hopefully I could help. :slight_smile:

4 Likes