Help with fixing Mesh Shading

Hello Developers,

My friend is currently working on a new game and he has hit a slight brick wall. He is trying to obtain a smooth mesh (possibly something like the smoothness of Meepcity meshes). He has tried using shade smooth in blender which is extremely ugly and dark. Does anyone have any ideas as to what he can do? I will attach a picture of a mesh from Meepcity below for refrence:

And how his work currently looks:

1 Like

Shade smooth will make all the edges look rounded.
Either ‘Mark Sharp’ using the Edge tool for all the edges you want to have squared edges, or make the square end’s Faces ‘Shade Flat’.

Since this isn’t a Blender forum it’s always easier to check Blender tutorials online.

1 Like

We decided to ask here since after a few experiements, shading works a little bit more different on Roblox.

However, I’m not a builder or modeller so I don’t know much about these kinds of stuff.

Another hint is to View > Object instead of View > Edit. It’ll show you the way the object will be rendered. Square edges (Shade Flat faces or Edge > Mark Sharp) will appear as crisp edges and the rounded columns will show up as smooth.
You may need to Mark Sharp the Edges around the bottom and top rings of the round sections.

1 Like

My friend was just wondering how to remove the awkward shadows created by smooth-shading.

Im gonna let him know, thanks.

1 Like

You can adjust the smoothness of the shadows for your mesh by using this slider. You can do this by selecting your mesh, then clicking OpenDataProperties which is the green triangle and using the slider underneath “Normals” to adjust the smoothness of your mesh. You can get precise results to your liking instead of making everything flat if your smoothness doesn’t work out.

3 Likes

clear custom split normals and then object will be fixed. you could also SMOOTH the normals as the post above described, but clearing it is easier and gives u the same result.

do this

press these 3 buttons from top to bottom in blender and then it’ll be fine

2 Likes