Help With Japanese Roof

I have had this issue come up many times where a union will appear invisible and would personally recommend gapfill or resize align.

3 Likes

I was wrong here. Unions do lag but you can easily solve this by exporting the union as a obj and then importing into as a mesh.

2 Likes

That is true, although the negative side of it is that it loses it’s colors if the unions was made with multiple different materials, unless you make texture for it.

1 Like

I tried using the union method provided by Gu0c, turned out Okay, but I am concerned about server lag so I’m most likely going to learn blender or use the methods mohmmed used. Thanks guys for you contributions :smile:

1 Like

Ah, you have to line the roofs up perfectly for the technique to work.

As you see it works for me, but if you are not using increments it may be hard.

This was literally so helpful. I know I’m late, but I will make use of this too!

1 Like

The only thing i can think of for that roof to make it look better is using the GapFill plugin. Anyways, i wish you luck on the japanese building!

I probaly suggest using a custom material

Thats a good idea, I will look for some nice textures to put on the roof, cheers :+1:

I’ve never attempted to make a Japanese styled roof, but here is what I’d do though. I would make the wave type design using archimedes, and tinker with it a bit until I was satisfied. Then, I would duplicate them and place them overlapping each other like you would in real life. Then, I would union it or mesh it to take a bit of the lag away. I’m not really caring for lag much because I have no games released currently but I’ve done it with a few small jobs here and there and it turns out beautifully

1 Like

Thanks for the input, I may attempt to try this out but lag is still a concern

I have done that when I made a anime house for a person

My friend made a dojo, and i think the roof design he did was very nice. take inspiration if u would like.

1 Like

Did he use corner wedges for the corners of the roof?

Cylinders, and blocks. No wedges im afraid.

Im not too sure how to managed to make the corners, that is the place I struggle the most with.

Try this tutorial. Enjoy!

4 Likes

This is perfect! Thanks! ThirtyCharacters

Final product. Left building it in August and came back this June.
The lighting isn’t great, it was just something quick

1 Like

Looks great man! Keep up the good work!