Help With Making Curved Train Tracks

You may present your thread how you choose, but you are required to answer the following questions in your thread;

• What are you attempting to achieve? (Keep it simple and clear)
    To make train tracks for my new train model to ride on.
  • What is the issue? (Keep it simple and clear - Include screenshots/videos/GIFs if possible)
    I was using Unioned Cylinders to make the curved tracks, but the cylinders are not round enough and the tracks are blocky.
  • What solutions have you tried so far? (Have you searched for solutions through the Roblox Wiki yet?)
    I have tried multiple different cylinders as well as a cylinder mesh.

I want to make simple 90 degree curved train tracks, but default “cylinders” have very few sides (24 sides), which is extra noticeable when the cylinder is large.

Here is how I make a single rail (i use multiple NegativeParts and one quarter of a Cylinder:

Here is a current finished rail (with my train car for scale):

I want a smoother, less blocky turn. What would be the best way to do this without tons of small parts and extra-careful measurements? Thank you for your help!

Note: I do not have nor know how to use Blender.

7 Likes

i’m not sure if you could make a turn any smoother without using smaller parts. i would recommend you use small parts, but save yourself a lot of time and use this plugin to easily create the curve: Archimedes Two

4 Likes

Really great plugin! I had actually never used any plugins before, so it took me a bit to figure it out.

How would I create a specific diameter circle? (because I need two quarter-circles: one on the inside and one on the outside)

3 Likes

Finally figured it out! I had to do some very complex calculations, but it looks and works great! Thanks for your help!

2 Likes

I know this reply is kinda late, but you can also group the model instead of doing the calculations.

What do you mean by that? I did the calculations so that the tracks were exactly 5 studs apart along the whole curve. I ended up grouping the rails so I didn’t have as many parts in Workspace…

If you group a section of track and use Archimedes 2 on the section of track it will rotate it as it were one part.