Help With My Character Customization UI (Player and Camera position help)

Hello, I’ve recently started to get into development and have started work on my own game, and have been working on a simple character customization menu, I’m still very new to scripting so some help or advice would be grateful.

Current Progress:

You can kinda see what I’m going for in terms of looks and I have most of the tweening for the menus done but I’ve been trying to figure out how to set the players character and camera in place for whenever a player clicks on the CusromizeButton and would then exit when they click the CloseButtonC.

This is part of the main LocalScript I’ve been working on, and where I think would probably make the most sense to implement it. But I’m guessing to move the player’s character in place I would have to use an Event and make a Script and have the LocalScript use FireServer() .

--CharacterMenuTween
CustomizeButton.MouseButton1Click:Connect(function() --Opens the menu
	CharacterMenu:TweenPosition(UDim2.new( 0.113, 0, 0.053, 0), "Out", "Sine", 1, false)
	SettingsMenu:TweenPosition(UDim2.new(-0.75, 0, 0.455, 0), "Out", "Sine", 1, false)
end)

CloseButtonC.MouseButton1Click:Connect(function() --Closes the menu 
	CharacterMenu:TweenPosition(UDim2.new(-1.113, 0, 0.053, 0), "Out", "Sine", 1, false)
	SkinTone:TweenPosition(UDim2.new(1.509, 0,0.759, 0), "Out", "Sine", 1, false)
end)

A few ideas were suggested to me, one being would be to teleport the player to some sort of stand or a little room whenever the function is fired, I don’t know if that’s the best idea cause I’m also wondering what would if more then one person wants to customize their character. Is there a way to disable them from seeing other characters for the time they’re customizing then?

Any advice or help will be appreciated, and if there are more articles I should read or videos to watch on this subject would also be great for I’m still learning a lot about scripting.

I believe you should follow the approach explained in this post:

In case you don’t want to leave the character in-game while player is in the menu, you can change character’s parent to nil and redefine it later, or destory it and use :LoadCharacter() to insert a new one.

Certainly there are some You Tube videos explaining how it can be done, but you will most likely have to develop your own slightly different version. Using keywords such as “Roblox customization menu” will surely lead you to some useful hits.

2 Likes

You should use a viewport display for the character. to see what they did.