Help with reducing lagg on my new game

Hi! I haven’t been on devforum for a while so I am happy to be back :smiley:

I need some help hopefully you all can help me.

I made a new game a hangout for Roblox users, my main game is so laggy and never used to be this way. We added more parts, free models, scripts, etc. I already checked all the scripts and I don’t see any that are a vaccines/virus’s I took out all the fire components but it lags even worse I tried looking on youtube and added an anti-lag script from a well-known YouTuber it made the loading faster but the game is still so slow. I would like to mention I am on Chromebook when playing Roblox (but I use my parent’s windows laptop to dev) Anyway it wasn’t laggy before is it possibly because of the free models I added? (I added a lot of them). I have also heard that unions can make your game a lot laggier too with using free models there are multiple unions in my game. Lastly, I am not sure how I can use fewer parts because I have heard using fewer parts will reduce lag. I want to really put effort and multiple fun things into my game, I am not sure what to do. Please can you guys give me some feedback?

Here is my game: [MAKE FRIENDS] positive hangout! - Roblox

Edit: I am really sorry I added the wrong topic oops thank you guys for telling me I changed it :smiley:

1 Like

Wrong section, although I’m not sure what section this would be in lol

1 Like

Free models often are not optimized very well in my experience. They usually have more parts than are required to achieve a certain effect. This is one of the reasons why creators build or model things themselves; so they can have precise control of the amount of detail.

There also may be a good chance it’s just reaching the limit of what your device can handle.

2 Likes

Oops I thought it would be in this since I am asking help with it. I am really sorry.

1 Like

Why is the bible so laggy? I’m playing on a gaming laptop, and nothing, not even satisfactory, has made my laptop chug so hard.
Edit: Also, when I left the game, Roblox just crashed.
Edit 2: 1gb of memory used, and mostly by parts, physics and graphics
Edit 3: All of the meshes are broken.

1 Like

Yeah I got no idea my friend added the bible I will tell him to take it out.

Yeah, I made a game with no free models hardly and the game literally has no lagg I will try to make a new game Version 2 hopefully not using much free models will help the lagg a lot. Thank you for the feedback!

I’ve played the game now, and there are a few things I notice.

First, my machine is down to only 51 FPS, and others have said they lag as well, so it is unlikely that it is just your device.

The other thing I notice is that some free models have a very high part count; specifically the buses out back stand out to me as potential perpetrators of lag.

Edit: I have confirmed the buses (or at least the back of the building) as a major lag producer because when I turn my camera towards them my FPS drops by 10-20 frames. Also, I discovered that by swimming in the water, you can get around the clip blocking the bus area, so that may need to be fixed.

1 Like
  1. “Anti-Lag” or “No-Lag” scripts will 99.98% of the time, completely not work
  2. Free models are fairly unoptimized for mass use in a game
  3. Chromebooks are not the best, they are usually under-powered/under-clocked, maybe try it on another device?
  4. Unions are meant to improve performance by combining selected parts together (Probably incorrect, but it’s what I’ve heard)
  5. Fewer parts within the Workspace will greatly improve performance and FPS, I’d suggest maybe looking for unanchored parts or buildings

Hope this helps!

Addition:
My ping is extremely poor, so there much be a lot of assets
Games like ΞXTORTIA runs well on a mildly good PC like mine and has a really low ping

^ Really, REALLY, under-rated game by the way

How can I use less parts?? I did add a big plane which probably why it made the graphics so high (It was a free model oof…)

Alright thank you for the feedback I will look into all of those! :smiley:

An idea would be to not use freemodels, as 90% of the time they contain a virus that will cause your game to lag. Same with anti-lag scripts, they are usually virus too. Refrain from using too many unions and parts.

The best way I can think of reducing lag is:

• Limiting usage of unions and meshes (parts > instances)
  • Limiting use of freemodels
  • Limited usage of scripts with severely long lines of code
  • Referring to the previous point, do not use unions. Welcome a slightly higher part count with open arms, or mesh whatever union you can. Once again parts will always be more optimised than unions and/or an excessive amount of meshes.
  • Delete any unnecessary or hidden parts.

I’m personally not sure how I’m able to help your case specifically, as I have not seen the part and both instance count, same as the explorer tab. But these are all useful ways that I have optimised my previous maps.

No, she’s good here, don’t worry.

First of all, hi! My name is shieldmr3, I’m a scripter and a game dev.

If you’ve ever noticed your game is lagging, try modeling most of the things and keep them organized, use models and folders. Try not to use free models as much as you can, as some of them might have viruses. If you’re going to use a free model, look inside all the parts/models in it, and check the scripts. Viruses are very clear and easy to find, you can just find them by looking once into the script.

I know everyone else said most of this, but I’m just trying to help. Hope you found my answer helpful! Thank you,
shieldmr3

Yes now she is, she changed it now so it’s correct

Oh, ok thank you, I didn’t notice.